Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for ideas (3.8 jk with RIPP Supercharger) sealed airbox?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for ideas (3.8 jk with RIPP Supercharger) sealed airbox?

Hey folks... I just installed the Rippmods Supercharger on my 2009 JKU Rubicon... I also picked up the Rippmods sealed air box for the 3.6 (Ripps idea) to see if I could get it to fit... well it doesn't. I have the included K&N filter on now and it seems fine but I want to understand if I am in danger due to rain since I also have the Poison Spyder hood lover on my hood... the filter is not directly under any of the lovers but it does sit about 3-4 inches to the left of them... I can't get the Rippmods sealed air box to fit (sending it back), and everything I find appears to be to big that I see online (hard to tell from a pic)... I was thinking about adding a K&N pre filter and rolling with what I have... only other option may be a snorkel but it will rob some of that RWHP from the Supercharger, which even with the Supercharger the 3.8 could use more... plus I don't do fording so it's not of any need for me for now (99.9% highway driving)... anyway what do you folks think? Rippmods may chime in (I plan on doing an over all review of the install and my dealings with RIPP soon).

I will post a few pics later today after work if I still have daylight.

Last edited by myrddin; 02-11-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Volant snorkel is probably the best, but kinda ugly.

Banks CAI looks like they protect from water pretty well.

Have you re-geared? Even if you are keeping stock tires with an auto they are under geared. That will make all the difference.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't regeared yet, I'm running 35's but I have the 6 speed manual trans so I don't get the auto problems.

On that CAI, I am not sure it will fit with the Supercharger, they only left about 8 inches of space for a filter. I am going to get some pics today to show measurements.

Update: you can see from the pics that I have from about the power steering bottle to the frame (about 8 inches).

Last edited by myrddin; 02-11-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myrddin
I haven't regeared yet, I'm running 35's but I have the 6 speed manual trans so I don't get the auto problems.

On that CAI, I am not sure it will fit with the Supercharger, they only left about 8 inches of space for a filter. I am going to get some pics today to show measurements.

Update: you can see from the pics that I have from about the power steering bottle to the frame (about 8 inches).
https://rippmods.com/collections/intake-systems/products/ripp-closed-air-box-replacement

Old 02-13-2017, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks RIPP! But that sealed air box doesn't fit in the 3.8... if you look at one of the pics I posted you may see it in the background. I may have been able to remove one end and cut the coupler down, but even then it would have been shoved into the inner fender well... now if I were to run a snorkel I may have been able to route it under and keep it inline??? Don't know, didn't try. I actually sent it back, you should have it tomorrow. I picked up a K&N drycharger fir now and will continue to look for something that gives a better fit.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save yourself a bunch of cash and worry and just stick a prefilter over the cone filter and call it a day. They are EXTREMELY water and dust resilient. You can pick one up for about 30 bucks. You can also purchase the prefilter material if you're savvy like that, and make your own prefilter.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, thanks for the info... I actually put one on today... after doing the research and checking out some video I think I'm fine for as long as I choose to stay with the drycharger... here are a couple of pics... sorry it's so dark.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myrddin
Thanks RIPP! But that sealed air box doesn't fit in the 3.8... if you look at one of the pics I posted you may see it in the background. I may have been able to remove one end and cut the coupler down, but even then it would have been shoved into the inner fender well... now if I were to run a snorkel I may have been able to route it under and keep it inline??? Don't know, didn't try. I actually sent it back, you should have it tomorrow. I picked up a K&N drycharger fir now and will continue to look for something that gives a better fit.
It will fit.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Cool... any chance you would do a write up for what to do and how it fits on a 3.8? Seems like once it's shoved into the corner it would be restricted? Pics would be awesome.

Quick Reply: Looking for ideas (3.8 jk with RIPP Supercharger) sealed airbox?