Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalcloak Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Virtually, you might have some rubbing. I haven't tried it but you will be more than fine with a 2" lift as you can see from my middle photo how much gap there is both front and rear with the 2.5" lift and 35". Have you already beefed up your axles to handle the 37" tires?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't done anything yet. May just stick with 35s so I know it will fit in garage. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiacity
So I wouldn't necessarily need to have the lift? Matalcloak claims the overland fit 35s and the overline fit 37s stock. Confused?
The difference is how much bump stop you have to run. You'll need about 2" more with the overland vs Overline. That means you lose 2" of uptravel (therefore, 2" of total shock travel).
Old 07-22-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdiacity
Haven't done anything yet. May just stick with 35s so I know it will fit in garage. Thanks for the input.
37's will fit in most garages even with soft top up.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasJKU

37's will fit in most garages even with soft top up.
Quite true.
I'm on 4" of lift with 37's and still have a good 2" of leftover clearance in the garage.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a small update we have a ton of Metal cloak in stock ready to ship.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't seem to find the post, but I know it was mentioned earlier. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a synergy sector shaft and track bar brace. Has anyone experience any fitment issues with it, or rubbing at flex? I'll be upgrading to 35s soon and and am prepping/strengthening everything I think might be effected. At $200 its cheap insurance against a pitman arm or steering box going down on the trail.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
I can't seem to find the post, but I know it was mentioned earlier. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a synergy sector shaft and track bar brace. Has anyone experience any fitment issues with it, or rubbing at flex? I'll be upgrading to 35s soon and and am prepping/strengthening everything I think might be effected. At $200 its cheap insurance against a pitman arm or steering box going down on the trail.
For some it works and others it doesn't. It did not work on mine. Coils would not clear it. I used the rock solid brace, but they are out of business.

That said, I have recently changed my view on steering shaft braces. Yes, people have had the bolts shear off. However, a guy in my group with a 2013 jku on 35s had a brace and while wheeling, the steering shaft itself broke in half. Both events are rare, but if I had to choose between buying 4 metric bolts or a new steering box, I'd go with the bolts. A new box is $700 and one from a salvage yards looks to be hovering around $400. Both instances result in not being able to drive, but sourcing bolts is easy, finding a box is not.

If you run large enough tires and wheel hard enough to require the brace, it's time to get hydro assist. For the price of a new box, you'll almost have paid for it.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

For some it works and others it doesn't. It did not work on mine. Coils would not clear it. I used the rock solid brace, but they are out of business.

That said, I have recently changed my view on steering shaft braces. Yes, people have had the bolts shear off. However, a guy in my group with a 2013 jku on 35s had a brace and while wheeling, the steering shaft itself broke in half. Both events are rare, but if I had to choose between buying 4 metric bolts or a new steering box, I'd go with the bolts. A new box is $700 and one from a salvage yards looks to be hovering around $400. Both instances result in not being able to drive, but sourcing bolts is easy, finding a box is not.

If you run large enough tires and wheel hard enough to require the brace, it's time to get hydro assist. For the price of a new box, you'll almost have paid for it.
Is your current view for or against?

I'm really looking to added for extra insurance. Two buddies with 35s have had steering boxes start leaking bad recently so it's fresh in my mind.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the synergy brace - my coils rub ever so slightly at a certain point in the suspension cycle. I'll be taking a grinder to the brace and knocking off the edge.

Quick Reply: Metalcloak Thread