Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mopar big brake kit

Old 09-22-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mopar big brake kit

I'm thinking about getting the Mopar big brake kit after my motor swap. The brakes are terrible. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this particular kit. I was wanting to try them out since I found it for $690 which includes brake booster, master cylinder, dual caliber, and rotors.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check this out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-cheap-326059/
Old 09-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomax-dtl
I'm thinking about getting the Mopar big brake kit after my motor swap. The brakes are terrible. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this particular kit. I was wanting to try them out since I found it for $690 which includes brake booster, master cylinder, dual caliber, and rotors.
Yep, I just finished the install this past Monday. I took lots of pictures which I was planning on using to post a write-up on this kit. In the mean-time, let me know if you have any questions because it's all pretty fresh in my mind.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Yep, I just finished the install this past Monday. I took lots of pictures which I was planning on using to post a write-up on this kit. In the mean-time, let me know if you have any questions because it's all pretty fresh in my mind.
Yeah my main question is does it firm up the brake any and does it take less effort to stop in normal braking? And does it work the the stock brake line? Thanks
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah my main question is does it firm up the brake any and does it take less effort to stop in normal braking? And does it work the the stock brake line? Thanks
Currently, I have stock wheels and rims (Sahara 18in) and feel it's kind of difficult for me to judge the overall improvement that others have described when installing this same kit. For stock wheels/rims, I felt the OEM brakes were "adequate" but when you go to larger tires, that is where the deficiencies of the stock brakes become more obvious. So I feel this is most likely where others who have installed this kit describe a "huge" noticeable improvement. I mainly decided to install this kit because I was due (103K miles) for pads, rotors and calipers all the way around and knowing I would be planning a lift and bigger tires in the near future, figured I might as well invest that money in an upgrade in preparation for the bigger tires.

So to answer you questions.....

Does it firm up the brake any?
Yes. How much? It's difficult for me to judge. They feel solid, and feel if I had to lock them up, that they would lock up really well. They feel much more solid to me when holding the pedal on incline/declines. No slippage and don't have to press hard as with stock in those instances. I haven't tried to lock them up since I'm still in the brake in stages and I never had to lock my stock brakes up, so I really don't have an established reference point either.

Does it take less effort to stop in normal braking? It feels about the same as stock brakes to me but as I mentioned, the stock brakes felt adequate with stock rims/tires.

Does it work the the stock brake line?
I didn't try this, since the kit comes with new brake lines and I just installed the kit lines. What is noticeably different between the stock and kit brake lines is the caliper mounting end of the brake line. The brake line mounting block on the kit is much larger than the stock, and the banjo bolt is a larger diameter as well. The differences in size of the banjo bolt would likely be the difference in determining if the stock brake lines could be used or not. Here is the banjo bolt's mopar P/N: 6510161AA and stock banjo bolt P/N: 6508914AA. Definitely different P/Ns, so I would doubt stock lines could be used due to that size difference. If you would have asked before I had them installed and finished bleeding the brakes, like just a day earlier I could have tried it out.

Additionally, the brake line attachment on the stock caliper is on the back side of the caliper, where with the kit caliper it is on the top of the caliper. So there may be some differences there as well in the bending shape of the brake lines.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-22-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:48 AM
JK Freak

Well I'm wondering how I can get extended brake line now as stock size lines aren't long enough, no way I can run stock?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Wow just looked at the Baer brakes!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'm wondering how I can get extended brake line now as stock size lines aren't long enough, no way I can run stock?
Yeah, I didn't have a lift and didn't have to deal with that problem currently. You may want to reach out to Flywrangler who helped me along because he did this install as well. He posted this in the other thread.

Originally Posted by Flywrangler
If you're lifted you may have to get a brake line drop bracket or these lines may be too short. I had some new ones made for my application, but these lines will work if you remove the bracket and reroute them to the backside of the shock.
So like flywrangler indicates the kit brake lines are longer than stock, but there is an added bracket on the kit brake line, where the line is mounted in front of the shock at the bottom of the spring. The extra length is there for the new bracket mount. So it's quite possible to remove the bracket and route them behind the shock.

Here's some pics of my install to show you more detail of the brake line bracket mounting and routing.

Here's the kit's added bracket:

Here's the routing of the kit's brake line with the mounting bracket placement. As you can see there is extra length to the brake line hose to provide additional slack and routing to the front side of the shock.

And here's a comparison of the stock brake line routing:

It wouldn't be too difficult to take some measurements of length comparisons if you need them.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running a heavily armored 4 door w/ 37" MTR's on ATX Slabs, so my weight is fairly high, and these brakes are AMAZING! If you are looking for a performance brake upgrade, you will not be disappointed. I would advise NOT reusing your current brake lines. As Rednroll mentioned, the size and location of the brake line attachment on the caliper would make things 'iffy', imho. If you're lifted, look into brake line drop brackets, or removing the mounting tab and re-routing behind the shock. I took my lines to a local brake shop and he just took the new fittings and rebrazed them onto some nice braided lines. I kept the same length and just routed them as shown in the pic in my previous, linked post above.

Regards,
Frank
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the Mopar Big Brake Kit installed (had no time to mess with it). I found that I could not use my stock Rubicon wheels as the inside of the rim (back surface of the "spokes") scraped the outside of calipers. The wheels were getting ugly corrosion anyway so I sprung for some AEV Savegre wheels and put the stock BFG's on them.

The Mopar parts catalog only said that the kit required 17" or larger wheels, so I assumed the stocks would fit. A spokesperson at Mopar said they knew the stock wheels might not fit and had "assumed" aftermarket wheels/bigger tires. Supposedly they will modify the catalog entry.

Yet reading other posts it appears people have installed the kit with stock wheels? Was it just something about my 2007 wheels?

Anyway it was worth the upgrade for me. I noticed a big improvement in stopping power.

Quick Reply: Mopar big brake kit