Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb wrench bumpstop and SS clamp

Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Newb wrench bumpstop and SS clamp

Help a newb wrench out. Are my bump stops shot and in need of replacement? If they are could it be because the weight of the rear tire carrier causes the coils to bottom out often? How do you know when to replace coils and shocks? Do they usually get a certain amount of miles and then it's time to replace?

I am missing this screw on my steering stabilizer. See picture. Can I buy a new screw or should I just replace the entire clamp?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2643863539.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	664512   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2959352064.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	664513   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2177860484.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	664514  
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Givin your location, IMO, bump stops look like need replaced , SS Clamp could probably be cleaned upped reused just get another bolt at hardware store.
Springs loose their strength after time like anything else . What Coils are they ? How long they been in service ?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Givin your location, IMO, bump stops look like need replaced , SS Clamp could probably be cleaned upped reused just get another bolt at hardware store. Springs loose their strength after time like anything else . What Coils are they ? How long they been in service ?
Ok I'll pull a screw out of the opposite side and take it to the hardware store. Get the screw replaced.

The lift is an OME HD 2" 619, 617 coils. I put it on at 13k and I've got 108k on it now. So I'm assuming a suspension should possibly be replaced every 100k. It was mostly a daily driver but has seen some heavy baja miles for surfing. I've got a lifetime powertrain so I plan on using it for another 100k for sure if it makes it. Just debating when to put a new suspension on. Maybe I should now since it may not make 200k and then I would have to get rid of it? Id rather get some use out of it now when I'm confident it is running well.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look thru the bolt hole of the missing bolt. U have to make sure the bolt didn't break off ... hopefully it just came loose and worked its way out. If u don't see threads the bolt is prob broken and u need easy out to remove the broken bolt.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Look thru the bolt hole of the missing bolt. U have to make sure the bolt didn't break off ... hopefully it just came loose and worked its way out. If u don't see threads the bolt is prob broken and u need easy out to remove the broken bolt.
Ok I'll check this for sure.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Bump for some answers about the suspension. How many years or miles typically of daily driver use do you get?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the shocks and test them by collapsing them. If they resist compression firmly but smoothly fully compress; then extend back out on their own, they should still be good.

Spring life is usually based on ride height, is the Jeep sagging anywhere? If the shocks are good but the Jeep easily hits the bump stops on bumps it may be time for new springs.

The bumpstops are wear items and do have a limited # of usable cycles, I would replace them, its not difficult.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Remove the shocks and test them by collapsing them. If they resist compression firmly but smoothly fully compress; then extend back out on their own, they should still be good. Spring life is usually based on ride height, is the Jeep sagging anywhere? If the shocks are good but the Jeep easily hits the bump stops on bumps it may be time for new springs. The bumpstops are wear items and do have a limited # of usable cycles, I would replace them, its not difficult.
Thanks for the reply. Yea the rear end is slightly sagging but I'm also running a bumper swing out LOD rear now too. So maybe I can get away with just doing the rear coils.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'd like to bump this up to the top. I'm gonna include a picture. I feel like the JK bottoms out now a lot with the addition of this bumper tire carrier about 3 years ago.

Is swapping springs and coils just as difficult as installing a lift? I'm still a very newb wrench but the rear shocks look easy enough. And if I were to get any lift again I would go with the same one OME. So maybe the swapping is pretty easy since I would just buy all the same parts again?

Maybe they make a heavier coil for the rear? Calling all OME JK'ers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-420309454.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	668678  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt-on suspensions are pretty easy to do in the garage / on the driveway. As long as you have at least 2 jack stands and 1 (or 2) decent wheeled garage jacks you should be good.

Most that you find are going to be made in China. The slim profile one's are always nice especially if you need to use it on a regular passenger car where the ground clearance is low. Get one with at least the large saddle area...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 9.45.25 PM.png
Views:	112
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	668679

Are you planning to buy the exact same suspension lift kit? Or are you buying just new sets of springs and shocks from the same kit? Just keep in mind that if you go with taller springs & shocks, then a lot of things can change.

Quick Reply: Newb wrench bumpstop and SS clamp