Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, how to build a very capable jeep for Moab and colorado

Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, how to build a very capable jeep for Moab and colorado

Hi guys like the title says im a newbie from colorado getting into the jeeping community. I sold my polaris rzr utv to get a jeep for colorado and moab but in hopes of still being able to drive it around town. I will be driving from colorado to moab in this vehicle so it WILL NOT be a trailer queen. I am in the market as we speak for a 4dr rubicon so i am trying to get ahead of the game and gain some knowledge so when i buy my jeep and can start building it. When i owned my utv i hit almost all the trails in moab including moan rim,hells,poisen,fins&things,metal masher,widow maker and 3/4 of pritchette caynon but had to turn around due to a bad storm. I want to build a jeep that will be capable of doing these trails without bashing the hell out of it. I know experience plays a critical roll but What do you recommend for lift,suspension, axles, tire size, and anything else. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

FAQ's and Thoughts On Lifts - both are stuck right to the top of this modified area.

What tire size. What year/engine/transmission. Budget?

Rubicons are fairly functional stock. Add some skids/rails/armor if you know you'll be bashing rocks. Chop the flares or swap to flats to make room for bigger tires. If you want a lift, start with the two sticky threads. Research the various options (and opinions) for strengthening the front housing.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

My advice is always the same, wheel it, talk with local jeepers about their rigs, builds and experience. You would be surprised at what a stock rubi can do. while you are waiting to build out your rig, get your recover gear and survival gear bought. These are things you will need no matter what...
tow strap
first aid kit
flash light/head lamps that STAY in the jeep
gloves
fire extinguisher
Air compressor- if you are going to go 35/37 inch tires then buy that compressor now. No sense in buying something twice. Either the warn power plant or the ARB twin. Yep both expensive but you decide, 6-8 minutes to fill up your tires or 45 minutes. Some people prefer CO2 but for me it is an additional hassle to ensure it is full and or has gas in it before heading out on the trail.

Here is a group in CO that does a lot of trail riding, don't be afraid of the website name... just check it out and connect with 'em.

TrailDamage.com - All Trails

You sure are in a great place to enjoy that jeep. Have fun.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a very open ended question with a thousand possible answers. Take some time and just start reading, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a '12 4 door Rubicon and when I went to Moab it was bone stock. I was BLOWN AWAY by how capable it was. Go there stock and learn what it can do. Then you'll have a better idea what mods you want versus what you NEED. Then you'll save money on the stuff you do because you're not replacing mods with more mods
Old 01-17-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
I have a '12 4 door Rubicon and when I went to Moab it was bone stock. I was BLOWN AWAY by how capable it was. Go there stock and learn what it can do. Then you'll have a better idea what mods you want versus what you NEED. Then you'll save money on the stuff you do because you're not replacing mods with more mods
^^^ Solid advice. It's also the best time to learn how to wheel a JK. One good season stock and you'll be 10x better at picking lines.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
FAQ's and Thoughts On Lifts - both are stuck right to the top of this modified area.

What tire size. What year/engine/transmission. Budget?

Rubicons are fairly functional stock. Add some skids/rails/armor if you know you'll be bashing rocks. Chop the flares or swap to flats to make room for bigger tires. If you want a lift, start with the two sticky threads. Research the various options (and opinions) for strengthening the front housing.

Looking for a 2012 or newer for the extra 80hp. automatic and probably 37 or 40" tires. Ive been doing some searching and i have found the king double throwdown kit. Super spendy but badass. I like this kit because of the ability to dive faster in rough terrain and the added flex. I have also thought about adding 5:13 gears, sleeving fron and rear axles, and adding chromoly axle shafts.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaK
My advice is always the same, wheel it, talk with local jeepers about their rigs, builds and experience. You would be surprised at what a stock rubi can do. while you are waiting to build out your rig, get your recover gear and survival gear bought. These are things you will need no matter what...
tow strap
first aid kit
flash light/head lamps that STAY in the jeep
gloves
fire extinguisher
Air compressor- if you are going to go 35/37 inch tires then buy that compressor now. No sense in buying something twice. Either the warn power plant or the ARB twin. Yep both expensive but you decide, 6-8 minutes to fill up your tires or 45 minutes. Some people prefer CO2 but for me it is an additional hassle to ensure it is full and or has gas in it before heading out on the trail.

Here is a group in CO that does a lot of trail riding, don't be afraid of the website name... just check it out and connect with 'em.

TrailDamage.com - All Trails

You sure are in a great place to enjoy that jeep. Have fun.

Good idea on the survival equipment. Any spare parts you would recommend carring?? axle shafts,u joint,wheel studs ect??
Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Are you wanting an Auto or manual. with an auto some feel the need for a regear with bigger tires and with an manual it can be more bearable.... when you say capable do you mean you want a bada** JKU that will rule the trail but lack the comforts of the stock ride.. or are you leaning more towards a well rounded JKU? there are so many upgrades needed to make a " capable JK " and they all are based off deep you're willing to go. I realize your trying to make a game plan, with that said, funds are the main factor.... again with larger tires comes the need for beefy stuff TREs, track bar, axles, C gussests, sleeves ,HD ball joints, truss... larger brakes like the BR6 upgrade are for sure in the cards with the Rubi's low range and down hill trails.. even in traffic slamming on the brakes to avoid danger can feel dangerous with 35s and stock brakes. many people say the rubi out of the box is capable.. and it is, but it has many weak links, just like every other JK model that needs attention. what im trying to get at is its not just a lift and tires that make a JK capable, its all that small things you can do to make it more RELIABLE. when you break outta town its not cheap...
Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You would probably be better off looking at D60's or better, instead of strengthening the stock housings and running super low backspace on the rims.

Quick Reply: Newbie, how to build a very capable jeep for Moab and colorado