Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil/trans skid plates

Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the evo skids for two years and beat the hell out of them. After bashing the engine skid to hell I swapped it out for the rock hard set up. The rock hard set up has held up well and I'm more impressed with it then the evo set up.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

You cannot go wrong with Rock Hard 4X4 Skid Plates. They have the best customer support. I call one evening after 6:00 and I got Rock Hard voice mail and decide not to leave a message and hanged up and plan to send them an email about the Oil/Trans Skid Plate. Before I could finish typing the email Rock Hard Customer Support called me back and named by name and answered my question. That is great customer service. I purchased the Rock Hard 4x4 Steel Oil Pan / Transmission Skid Plate - Long Arm, Transfer Case Skid Plate, Evaporator/Charcoal Canister Skid Plate, and just purchased the Gas/Fuel Tank Skid Plate. Money well spent for great products.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0907151340.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	631041Click image for larger version

Name:	0907151340a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1,008.7 KB
ID:	631042Click image for larger version

Name:	0907151337a.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	631043
Old 11-27-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the M.O.R.E tram/oils skid on a JKRU. Great price only draw back was that the bolt heads are exposed. The need to design a better option. But it is very strong. Just got back from WINDROCK and it saved my ass many of times.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Not many rocks in TX? I've seen many crossmembers trashed where the rock hard doesn't cover. I do like the rock hard design better, but something needs to protect the rest of the crossmember. Personally, I'd just cut some 3/16" steel to cover what rock hard doesn't, weld together and boom, perfect skid.
The only areas it does not protect are the last maybe 10" on either side that are angled upward going to the frame. I guess you can hit those pretty bad too. But if you are wheeling like that maybe you should invest in something more hardcore like what Synergy and Artec have available.

"Not many rocks in TX?" Do you really want to go there? Don't mess with Texas my northern Jeep brother.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
The only areas it does not protect are the last maybe 10" on either side that are angled upward going to the frame. I guess you can hit those pretty bad too. But if you are wheeling like that maybe you should invest in something more hardcore like what Synergy and Artec have available.

"Not many rocks in TX?" Do you really want to go there? Don't mess with Texas my northern Jeep brother.
There is no need to spend money on a full system, the stock tank and t-case skid are fine. The crossmember is paper thin and will bend at the sight of a rock. I actually see the damage more often on stock Jeeps. Anyway, it is just cheaper to cover it up front. The EVO skid does just that and for less than the Rock Hard. And it covers the exhaust trumpet on the 2012+. That thing is low hanging fruit, ripe to be picked by a rock.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty sure the EVO and Rockhard skids are the same price + or - 10 bucks depending on promotions. I didn't like how the EVO skid bolted directly to the oil pan, so I didn't go that route, but people don't seem to have any issues with it. Either would probably be fine. That said--I know that Rockhard honors their lifetime warranty. I taco'd my stock tcase skid, and then got a rockhard skid and bent that too. I called them up, and they sent me a new one the same day, no questions asked. Was surprised they have such a good warranty on skids which are meant to be beat on.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
Pretty sure the EVO and Rockhard skids are the same price + or - 10 bucks depending on promotions. I didn't like how the EVO skid bolted directly to the oil pan, so I didn't go that route, but people don't seem to have any issues with it. Either would probably be fine. That said--I know that Rockhard honors their lifetime warranty. I taco'd my stock tcase skid, and then got a rockhard skid and bent that too. I called them up, and they sent me a new one the same day, no questions asked. Was surprised they have such a good warranty on skids which are meant to be beat on.
I wheel rocks bigger than your jeep and have never hit my oil pain. Regardless, I'm not sure the little rock hard brackets to the engine mounts are better than the EVO skid. What I know is that with the rock hard skid, you'll bend the crap out of the crossmember on the sides where it doesn't cover. I'll retract my view if you have data to suggest otherwise. I don't run EVO skids, I'm just saying what actually works and what doesn't.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wheel rocks bigger than your jeep and have never hit my oil pain. Regardless, I'm not sure the little rock hard brackets to the engine mounts are better than the EVO skid. What I know is that with the rock hard skid, you'll bend the crap out of the crossmember on the sides where it doesn't cover. I'll retract my view if you have data to suggest otherwise. I don't run EVO skids, I'm just saying what actually works and what doesn't.
If you're only wheeling rocks bigger than my jeep then I should hope you wouldn't be hitting an oil pan. Its those smart car sized rocks you gotta worry about getting up in there.
I also figure that factory x-member will go no matter what eventually. I did crush mine, but right up the middle where it was covered by a skid. I replaced with a HD one--4 door problems.

Last edited by mistasparkl; 11-28-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
If you're only wheeling rocks bigger than my jeep than I should hope you wouldn't be hitting an oil pan.
That's funny ^^^
My first purchase was my oil pan skid(EVO). I've seen first hand the dangers and damage from not having it covered. I later purchased the trans and cross member skid (also EVO) but still haven't installed it. I looked at the Rock Hard complete skid, as I am a fan of the company, but didn't think the extra weight was worth the extra protection. EVO serves my needs.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

I have bumped my oil pan and oil pan skid, but I am play on smaller rocks. I have the Evo skid and hit hard enough to bend one of the connection tabs slightly and enough to cause an oil leak at the pan. If Benchmark Designs was still around I would suggest replacing the oil pan with a Heavy Duty one to keep more clearance.

The stock cross member will go without you even knowing it. Get the PSC Heavy Duty transmission cross member, good luck bending it.

Quick Reply: Oil/trans skid plates