Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Superchips Flashpaq, HELP!

Old 11-27-2015, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on Superchips Flashpaq, HELP!

Greeting Jeepers,

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

I am looking for opinions in reference to the Superchips Flashpaq. I am starting a new job soon and my commute time is increasing from 15 minutes to about 60 minutes (depending on traffic). That being said, there are a couple of things that I want to remedy on my Jeep...

Sooo, I have a 2013 JKU Sport, with 3:21 gears, a 2.5" Teraflex suspension lift and 315/70r17's tires.

I am looking to correct my speedometer (since I now have bigger tires) and I am wanting to increase my fuel economy (if possible). I have heard a lot of good things about the Superchips Flashpaq and it looks like it meets my needs, but I guess I need some real world feedback to push me off the ledge and actually buy it! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Val
Old 11-27-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

For speedo corrections it definitely helps, but as far as actual MPG I haven't noticed a difference. Some claim +4 or 5 I noticed maybe +1 on my tune. The biggest difference is just pay attention to how you drive her. Or put a brick behind the pedal!
Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the flashpaq but I do have the traildash. Being able to change the tire size is nice. Maybe netted me +2 mpg with the MPG tune. You may want to consider a $500 beater (civic or something) to get you to work and back... Save you some miles on the jeep and would pay for itself in gas savings in a year...
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the flashcal, It works great. I noticed a difference in MPG, the trans shifts in the right place, and everything just works the way it should. I love the unit as you can also change lighting etc. I may download the tunes as well to see how they work.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Smaller tires would solve your problem and keep you from burning through your mud tires cruising the highway. The flashpaq is a neat toy and I dislike driving without it but it won't change your mileage like smaller tires.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies and advise guys. Not really wanting to change out my tires ( I can't go back man!), even though you're probably correct in that smaller tires would net a better mpg increase. As for buying a fuel efficient beater, lol, well my wife wants a new car (Lexus) and says that I can use her Jeep GC (which is better on fuel that my Jeep). I will more than likely get the flashpaq before the year is out. It would be nice to see exactly how much of a difference it will make on my Jeep. Thanks y'all!
Old 11-29-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll say the same as everyone else. Gauge adjustments are dead on. Fuel economy can be slightly improved depending on the tune and driving habits, but don't count on a major 5-6 mpg average.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest just picking up a FlashCal (3570) and it will adjust for your bigger tires and a few other settings like TPMS, DRL's. Should be able to find a new one online for $125. I never noticed any benefits from the tunes, at least nothing to justify the extra expense. If you get the Flashcal you can upgrade it to a Flashpaq with the tunes through the SC Spark software later. Last time I looked it was an $80 download/upgrade.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Superchips Flashpaq, HELP!