Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro comp vs tera flex

Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro comp vs tera flex

I have multiple people suggesting I should get pro comp or Tera flex for my suspension lift. Would like to get as many opinions as possible. Pros? cons? Or another brand I should check out. I am still undecided on lift height! So suggestions on that as well!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Generally, the problem with an inexpensive lift is two fold. First, the quality of the components is what it is, and second, the lift doesn't provide you with everything necessary to address everything which is mainly why it looks less expensive. Regardless of what you go with, be certain to address correcting your caster. Do not consider cam bolts and option, so you'll need to either include control arm drop brackets for your factory arms, or adjustable control arms in addition to the cost of the lift.

Also, I'd caution you that just because a lift says 3" or 4", does not mean that is what you'll really see. A lot depends on the manufacturer of the springs, and the weight of your jeep. I would tell you that I started on a 4" Pro Comp lift. It was probably about a year before I had replaced everything that came with that.....so it was essentially wasted money. I moved from 4" Pro Comp springs to 3.5" RK springs and my jeep easily sits higher now.....which is why I mention not just going by the numbers. Some springs like RK and MC are going to be rated for a fully armored rig. My jeep weighs about the same as a buddy who has a 3.5" AEV lift and I'm easily an inch higher than his.

Dirtman's sticky at the top of the modified section is a great read and helpful for people considering lifts.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Generally, the problem with an inexpensive lift is two fold. First, the quality of the components is what it is, and second, the lift doesn't provide you with everything necessary to address everything which is mainly why it looks less expensive. Regardless of what you go with, be certain to address correcting your caster. Do not consider cam bolts and option, so you'll need to either include control arm drop brackets for your factory arms, or adjustable control arms in addition to the cost of the lift.

Also, I'd caution you that just because a lift says 3" or 4", does not mean that is what you'll really see. A lot depends on the manufacturer of the springs, and the weight of your jeep. I would tell you that I started on a 4" Pro Comp lift. It was probably about a year before I had replaced everything that came with that.....so it was essentially wasted money. I moved from 4" Pro Comp springs to 3.5" RK springs and my jeep easily sits higher now.....which is why I mention not just going by the numbers. Some springs like RK and MC are going to be rated for a fully armored rig. My jeep weighs about the same as a buddy who has a 3.5" AEV lift and I'm easily an inch higher than his.

Dirtman's sticky at the top of the modified section is a great read and helpful for people considering lifts.
Spoken from experience!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that every brand of lift has a different live size vs tire size combo. Did you know that TeraFlex offers over 150 JK lifts with LifeTime warranties?

Have you seen these videos of ours? Feel free to call us if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

+1. I like the Teraflex videos as well as they are education and often times have a little comic relief. Can't stress enough the Dirtman sticky -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

I would also say this......once you read up and really understand everything that should be addressed in a lift, there is nothing wrong with piecing things together. For example Pro Comp shocks really suck. I had em, I know. If you decide you want Pro Comp springs, buy those separately, pair them with Blistein or Fox shocks. Here is what you'll start noticing......4 Pro Comp springs cost might cost $275 for a set of front and rear springs, whereas Rock Krawler springs might cost you $306. Take a look of this snapshot from 4WP website -

Click image for larger version

Name:	springs.PNG
Views:	113
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	666181

I'm just using 3.5" springs here as a numerical example. If you don't think the RK springs are worth an extra $31 over the life of your jeep, you'd be cra cra. My point here is just once you understand all the components you need to address, you can really compare things on an apples to apples basis vs. just looking at lift packages. When you look at packages you see the big final price, then you have to start digging and determining what each package includes or doesn't include, and factor those costs.

I feel like I've gone on a rant here and have started to ramble. Maybe it's because I started on a 4" Pro Comp lift and the OP has hit my trigger button...LOL. It was a POS....shocks were POS, springs were POS, TB was POS, didn't address caster correction.....not a single thing from that lift is still on my jeep.

Quick Reply: Pro comp vs tera flex