Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSC Steering assist, a small fire, and a lesson about fire extinguishers

Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 AM
rah
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSC Steering assist, a small fire, and a lesson about fire extinguishers

Earlier this month I got a PSC ram assist steering kit installed. Love it. Made turning the 37’s easy even when aired down. Couldn’t wait to use it on the trails

We went up to Drummond Island to trail guide for the Jeep Jamboree. I was out with the other trail guides pre-running the trails and scouting some possible new routes when BANG a hydraulic line burst. Crap now we have a trail repair to deal with. We looked at the lines and one of the high pressure lines had burst about 2 inches from the connector to the steering box. Since I had enough slack in the lines we removed it, cut the line, and re-installed the connector. We figured it had a bad spot in the lines that caused it to burst. Refilled with fluid, took care of the spill of fluid on the ground and all was good.

An hour later…
While getting up a rock ledge another BANG. This time followed by yells of FIRE! A killed the engine, hoped out and starting grabbing my extinguisher. What a pain that was. I have one of the holders that attaches to the roll bar and extinguisher with Velcro and boy it took way too long to get it out of its holder. We did manage to get the fire out quickly. As luck would have it one of the other trail guides was a former firefighter and now a fire inspector. I passed him the extinguisher and he went to work to get the fire totally out.

Upon inspection no real damage was done. Had a few wires singed and some wire loom melted but all seemed to be ok. The hose had bust in about the same location, just this time in the right angle to shoot the fluid in a way it ignited. (my friend the fire inspector suggested it may have hit a spark from the alternator - he said it was unlikely that just the heat from the exhaust would have started a flame)

I was pulled off the trail (not so fun without power steering) and back to our cabin. The next day I was off to get new hoses. I was able to have some made at Napa on the mainland (this time I got some rated at twice what PSC’s hoses were).

Lessons learned:
1 – Thanks for the hoses PSC, I think I will have my own made – If you have a PCS I would consider replacement hoses. As I said, I had mine made at Napa. It is not cheap, but it is clearly better hose with pressed on connectors.

2 – Carry an extinguisher and get a quick release holder! Think carefully on its placement. In an emergency seconds count! I hope you never need to use it but you never know. I never thought I would need one.

3 – When putting out a fire in the engine compartment do not open the hood, but do just pop it (disconnect the two hood latches) this allows the air to escape when you are shooting the extinguisher chemical into the compartment (we shot it in from the wheel well and from underneath). If you open the hood too much air will rush in and just make the fire larger, but if you do not allow the air to be displaced the chemical will have a hard time getting in.

4 – Jeep friends are great friends they helped me out in a time of need. I am all good and back out on the trail!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy. Exactly why I skipped the PSC lines and fittings and went straight to a Parker store to get real lines and fittings (which actually cost less for way more quality).
Old 07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Agreed. Whenever we do a ram install we get quality hoses made from a local hydraulics shop. Any Napa with a hose crimping machine can make you quality lines as well. An extra hundred dollars is well worth the assurance.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm just added the PSC hydro like 3 weeks ago .... Going to upgrade the hoses ASAP.... What size do I need to go with as far as hose is concerned? Type of hose? Length of hose? Fittings size? Then is it as easy as using the caps provided and swap the new lines in? Thx
Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

I prefer (because Ringer said so) crimped fittings and getting a spare set of hoses. The pressure lines are the only ones that matter (the two running from the ram). They're all -6AN fittings.

Last edited by Invest2m4; 07-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I prefer crimped fittings and getting a spare set of hoses. The pressure lines are the only ones that matter (the two running from the ram). They're all -6AN fittings.
Sorry if I sound stupid here ..... Are the "pressure lines" you speak of the same as the "hoses" you mentioned? And the ram the part that looks like a stabilizer? Is it a simple swap? Thanks

Last edited by robsjeep9; 07-06-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

No dumb questions Rob. The lines coming off the ram are pressurized. I am pretty sure they are both 3 ft long from PSC. The fittings that are used are standard in size and any hydro shop will build them for you for cheap (Caterpillar, NorTrax, etc.)

Here is the field repair kit, it should give you the info you need:

Field Serviceable JK Cylinder Assist Hose Kit 3-45s 1-Straight 6 Feet #6 Hose-HK2035 : Steering Hose and Fittings, Hose Kits | PSC Motorsports - performance steering components, power steering
Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks Joe
Old 12-09-2015, 02:42 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Crazy. Exactly why I skipped the PSC lines and fittings and went straight to a Parker store to get real lines and fittings (which actually cost less for way more quality).
Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
^ Agreed. Whenever we do a ram install we get quality hoses made from a local hydraulics shop. Any Napa with a hose crimping machine can make you quality lines as well. An extra hundred dollars is well worth the assurance.
Damn this is good to know since I'm about to get the PSC kit.....pump/reservoir first then adding the ram later.

Last edited by DJ1; 12-09-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Quick Reply: PSC Steering assist, a small fire, and a lesson about fire extinguishers