Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling the trigger

Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling the trigger

seriously think of pulling the trigger on a new 4 dr rubicon. sticker say it has 410 and is an auto. with this set up can i put on a simple 2-3 lift and run 35's ( actually 34.5 dealer tire specs) or do need a new wheel or spacer? How many of you are running the 3.6 with an auto and " 35's" and do you like it or not?
I Live in so cal, there are some hills mountains etc daily driver and explorer mostly desert stuff, and big bear.
the big question is how do I afford it?
because after I buy it wan to mod it and then my wife why do you have to take a perfectly good truck and ruin it?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
seriously think of pulling the trigger on a new 4 dr rubicon. sticker say it has 410 and is an auto. with this set up can i put on a simple 2-3 lift and run 35's ( actually 34.5 dealer tire specs) or do need a new wheel or spacer? How many of you are running the 3.6 with an auto and " 35's" and do you like it or not?
I Live in so cal, there are some hills mountains etc daily driver and explorer mostly desert stuff, and big bear.
because after I buy it wan to mod it and then my wife why do you have to take a perfectly good truck and ruin it?
Well, I wouldn't help you with affording it and won't help you with a domestic crisis, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with the 4-dr Rubi, 3.6L engine, .410 gear ratio and 35"s...

Last edited by GJeep; 12-19-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

...why do you have to take a perfectly good truck and ruin it?
Because Jeep...
Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

A friend from WA and I occasionally ride in my Jeep or his, so I've got some experience in his '12 3.6L with auto and 4.10 gears on 33s. It runs great. The only complaint I have about the auto (other than the fact it's an auto--personally I don't like driving them) is that it is somewhat harsh on the shifts, choosing to downshift on cruise at max acceleration when 1 MPH below the target speed. It's a little less than subtle. In my 3.8 "max acceleration" at Interstate speeds isn't very impressive. While it won't break your neck in the 3.6, I suspect you'll find it just as annoying for its lack of finesse. I expect this combo would run just fine on 35s. If you're sticking with stock wheels, ensure you install wheel spacers and recommend a 2.5" suspension lift--budget boost for a street-only rig, coil lift with new shocks if you plan to off-road. Recommend you budget for a ProCal or other device to reprogram the speedometer and keep those shift points optimized, as well.

BTW, Encinitas: Just went up Carrizo Mountain with a friend from Encinitas a couple weeks ago. You can see the video here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IldVX63Z8D4

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-18-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 Jku heavy rubicon manual with BFG AT which are like 34.8. I pull a small enclosed trailer (6x4) full of family gear when going on trips. I have no problem pulling up snoqulmie pass at 70-80. It has more left but I don't push it for saftey reasons. That's also with jeep fully loaded down. I do have a trinity tunner. Not sure how much differance that makes having. Last year i met a guy at the gas station at the top of the pass, who got his Toyota fj stuck in the snow one exit back down the pass. I went in with family trailer attached and pulled him out. So I have zero complaints with manual. I did a speed run by my self once (I know not smart) on a back road and I got up to 90 mph and it was still pulling when I let off. It was smoth as butter but I didn't see the need to push it further. Not smartest thing to do in the first place.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seriously think of pulling the trigger on a new 4 dr rubicon. sticker say it has 410 and is an auto. with this set up can i put on a simple 2-3 lift and run 35's ( actually 34.5 dealer tire specs) or do need a new wheel or spacer? How many of you are running the 3.6 with an auto and " 35's" and do you like it or not? I Live in so cal, there are some hills mountains etc daily driver and explorer mostly desert stuff, and big bear. the big question is how do I afford it? because after I buy it wan to mod it and then my wife why do you have to take a perfectly good truck and ruin it?
Hate to say it but I have that setup and occasionally pull about 6000 with it. It is a flat pull around north Dallas area but It does fine and doesn't overheat. Sent using smoke signals

Last edited by Dbmoorejr; 12-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need 4.5" backspace wheels or spacers. Given the investment you're making, don't cheap out and get spacers. You can sell the stock wheels and tires for $700-$1000. Your net investment really won't be much more and you don't have spacers to worry about.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Dude, if you can't afford it, why are you here letting people talk you into it...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GJeep
Well, I wouldn't help you with affording it and won't help you with a domestic crisis, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with the 4-dr Rubi, 3.6L engine, .410 gear ratio and 35"s...
ditto.

And, if you can't afford it, why are you buying it? Guys like you who buy things and reneg on the loan are the very reason the rest of us pay higher % on things we finance.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

C'mon man, figure out what you can afford and go from there. Maybe take a personal finance class before you buy anything.

Quick Reply: pulling the trigger