Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on installing 2.5" lift kit

Old 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on installing 2.5" lift kit

Hi Everyone! I am new to the JK forum and wanted to ask a question about an issue I think I am having.

I spent the last part of the day today installing a 2.5" lift kit from TeraFlex on my 2016 JK Sport 4 door. the kit includes shocks and springs. I went out and purchased new tools such as 4 ton jack stands, floor jack, and some ratchet wrenches, etc.

When I got home, I laid out my work area, tools needed, and my laptop to refer to YouTube while installing it. LOL I totally forgot to measure the height of the jeep before installing the kit. I say that because it doesn't look like its raised too much. Also night time set in and I was only able to do the rear of the Jeep. With all this being said here is my question. I have everything put back together and torqued with the exception of the track bar. I put the wheels back on and set it on the ground. I was going to torque the track bar after it was on the ground. Once I did that I was then going to start on the front. (measure first this time of course)

What do you guys think? Does it sound like I am going about it the right way?

Thanks for any advice or direction you can give me.

Greg
Old 02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ements-297499/

And yes, always torque at ride height with the vehicle's weight on the suspension.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ements-297499/

And yes, always torque at ride height with the vehicle's weight on the suspension.
Good stuff! Thanks a lot karls10jk!!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that you have everything torqued up nicely, consider loosening your control arm and track bar bolts (just loosen), drive it around the block to let the suspension settle and remove any preload, then re-torque everything on level ground. You don't have to do this, but it sounds like you simply put it back together and then torqued it. You may find you have a better ride and better articulation off-road. Will also support extended bushing life.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I just rock mine back and forth several times before final torqueing.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:57 PM
JK Junkie

Good job. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Now that you have everything torqued up nicely, consider loosening your control arm and track bar bolts (just loosen), drive it around the block to let the suspension settle and remove any preload, then re-torque everything on level ground. You don't have to do this, but it sounds like you simply put it back together and then torqued it. You may find you have a better ride and better articulation off-road. Will also support extended bushing life.
I was able to finish the front after work tonight and just got through cleaning up. I will definitely try what you suggested tomorrow. Another note... My lug nuts just arrived so now I get to mount my wheels!! Yay!!

After riding around the block a few times, and then re-torquing tomorrow... I guess I will know if I need to get the rig aligned... Have any of you been able to install a lift and not realign anything?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Good job. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much sir... BTW, I dig your signature...gonna have to steal it!
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by worldmac1
Have any of you been able to install a lift and not realign anything?
Center your steering wheel and go enjoy the drive. The "alignment" you'll pay $50+ for will only adjust your steering wheel (10 min job) and maybe adjust your toe if they don't suggest replacement parts.

I've had my jeep 6.5 years now and it hasn't gone in for an alignment. It drives straight and I get my tires balanced frequently.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Center your steering wheel and go enjoy the drive. The "alignment" you'll pay $50+ for will only adjust your steering wheel (10 min job) and maybe adjust your toe if they don't suggest replacement parts.

I've had my jeep 6.5 years now and it hasn't gone in for an alignment. It drives straight and I get my tires balanced frequently.
Cool! Good to know! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Question on installing 2.5" lift kit