Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Tires And Lift

Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Tires And Lift

I've done a lot of reading before posting here. Was hoping I can get some info/advice on my Jeep.

It's a 2015 Jeep jk sport unlimited with a 2" Mopar spacer lift currently running 285/70/17 Kelly Safari TSR on 17x9 Pro Comp wheels.

I was thinking of going to a set of 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on the same wheels.

I might take it to the sand dunes once a year other wise it stays on the road.

It has the stock fenders and I would to keep it that way if possible without cutting them.

With my current setup mentioned above, do you foresee any problems or have any recommendations?

Any possibility of death wobble with the larger tires?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	13418371_1340997092580406_5468520666433473582_o.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	669092
Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great the way it is
Old 03-26-2017, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stuff your tires until the bumpstops are mashed together, (or the coils are bottomed out), then get out and look at how much room there is between the tire and fender. Enough to go up to 35's?

What is the backspacing on your current rims? Do they sit out far enough for 35's?

Deathwobble is generally caused by loose bolts or failing components, not just because you replaced tires. So I guess to answer that questions: yes, it is possible that you could experience deathwobble after mounting 35's. But more than likely the tires would not be the cause...
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanically the 35s will squeeze in there just fine. Make sure you get the proper backspacing, 17x9 with a 4.5" back space is the magic number. Also a Nitto tends to run big, I.E. a true 35. Nittos are our favorite, we install Nittos on 95% of the JKs we build, but for your rig that sits low, a good option for you might be to switch to a BFG Mud Terrain because they run small and have a rounded shoulder. They're also a fantastic tire. They still say 35x12.50 on them, but the reality is that they are really a 34, and that's ok. They still have the same effect and look without being so crammed in there.

As a previous poster said, you'll probably want to run a bump stop spacer, you won't need anything huge.

You will need to do some minor clearancing to the fenders. Nothing too invasive, just on the plastic liners where the lugs contact at full lock.

Also worth mentioning, it's time for gears with a 35ish" tire. If you have 3.21s your Jeep will graduate into slow turd land. If you have 3.73s you'll be ok, just pick up a programmer that corrects for the big tires and will give you an extra couple of ponies. For your set up, ideally you'll be running around with a 4.56 or 4.88 gear.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the great advice guys! I measured one of my wheels and I have 4.5 in. of back spacing so I should be good in that regard.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'd reiterate what has been said above....DW is caused by loose bolts and worn components. That said, adding larger tires will increase the wear on said components. I wouldn't let that stop you from any build plans, just be aware. One thing think that can tend to go quicker are the POS factory ball joints in the D30/44. Do a little research on how to test your ball joints and just check them from time to time. Even on stock jeeps the BJ's, TRE's, DL and TB joints will fail at some point. It's best to get in tune with your steering components......That way if you ever do encounter a wobble or shimmy issue, you'll be able to diagnose it easily.

Quick Reply: Question Tires And Lift