Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Woes / Coils Bending & Rubbing TB

Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Woes / Coils Bending & Rubbing TB

I just put on a new pair of 4" Rear Teraflex Coils and they are a lot wider than the old coils that I had (unknown brand). The first big problem is that they are bending under the stress of just being under the Jeep (old coils did the same thing, not a Teraflex problem). I think this is because I have fixed control arms right now and my axel needs to be moved, is this correct?

Secondly, these new wider coils are now rubbing/scraping against my rear trackbar and bracket. This seems to be because of the same issue that my axel isn't far back enough. It also appears that the trackbar bracket is bent towards the coils (dude who wheeled this Jeep before me put the wood to it)

Looking for some insight as to what I can do to fix my geometry/positioning so I can get this all sorted out and not having the bending and rubbing. I have a pair of Teraflex Adjustable Control Arms that I needs to install. The bowing I can live with and correct, but the rubbing I obviously can't.

Driver side rear coil
Notice the gnarly bend and it looks like the trackbar bracket is bent towards the coil.

Passeger side rear coil
Notice the gnarly bend. Coil is also contacting the trackbar itself.

Last edited by aermotor; 07-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Getting both sets of control arms will let you move the entire axle back. (one set will 'tilt' the axle, both sets will move it). And getting coil correction wedges or new perches will help with the bowing.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Control arms will not fix the spring bending and contacting the track bar. I even have degree wedges and they still are not doing enough. The spring perches are at the wrong angle. I am about to get the JKS adjustable perches myself...
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

sadly, like was said above, rear arms will not fix your issue.

i have 3.5" springs, aftermarket rear arms and a different track bar and the springs still make contact under load or flex. just driving around on the street it's not bad, however, i too am looking at the JKS relocation brackets.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have adjustable control arms make sure they are set to give you the right pinion angle obviously. If it is off a bit this can really throw things out of whack. Also degree wedges from rockkrawler will help straightening out the spring. This is also why i reccomend people to buy kits that work with eachother. If you buy springs from one manu. the trackbar from somewhere else and so on more than likley you will have a issue wuth something not working well with the other part. Teraflex doesnt call jks and say "hey are our springs going to work with how your trackbar bends?" Its hit and miss building a jeep this way. Also i recently did the jks adjustable spring perches for my buddy on here rinkishjk and again we had to modify the driverside perch to have it work with a trackbar bracket that he purchased a while ago before the perches. Its hard hacking up a brand new part to make work!
The install is on page 2
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...acket.../page2

Last edited by DEADGUY11; 07-16-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the jks perches do not play nice with the tf trackbar bracket.
After all is said and done my springs are perfectly straight, and there is tons of space between trackbar and spring.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Erg, okay thanks everyone. The last thing I want to do is spent another $170 on perches, then have to worry about grinding the old ones off etc etc. Looks like I'll need to return these springs and go with some thinner ones like Trailmaster or Evo and get some simple wedges. I need a 5-6" coil.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Order the $35 RK wedges first before you get new coils. It worked on mine when I had stock arms in the rear w/4in TF coils.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Order the $35 RK wedges first before you get new coils. It worked on mine when I had stock arms in the rear w/4in TF coils.
Yes order wedges and hopefully it fixes it for ya!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

I need longer coils anyway, but no matter what I do I'll grab a pair of those wedges too.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Woes / Coils Bending & Rubbing TB