Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripp Supercharger and Transmission cooler

Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp Supercharger and Transmission cooler

Need help with my 2013 Rubicon Penstar 3.6L. with max tow package. I recently purchased a Moby-1 XTR trailer...loaded weight about 3,000 lbs. Installed a Ripp supercharger to help with towing. Problem now is HOT OIL!!! There is an factory installed tranny cooler but it is pretty much obstructed by the SC. Thinking I need a tranny cooler with a fan but where the heck can I put it? I checked with ORW as they make a tranny cooler to fit with the Ripp SC but they tell me it will not fit the 3.6L Penstar. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a Ripp on my 3.6L auto as well, and my kit came with a new trans cooler to replace the stock one to make room for the intercooler. I mounted the new trans cooler below the intercooler. Did yours not come with one? The trans cooler listed on Ripp's site says its for an '07-'14 with or without a supercharger.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2; your kit should of come with a trans cooler. As a matter of fact, I dont think the SC intercooler will mount w/o the RIPP provided trans cooler.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

you could use something like this:
Dual-Pass Heat Sink Cooler, 18" | PSCMotorsports.com performance steering components, power steering
Old 06-11-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
I am running a Ripp on my 3.6L auto as well, and my kit came with a new trans cooler to replace the stock one to make room for the intercooler. I mounted the new trans cooler below the intercooler. Did yours not come with one? The trans cooler listed on Ripp's site says its for an '07-'14 with or without a supercharger.
Thanks for the reply. There is a trans cooler behind the SC but it is almost completely covered by the SC. Had the SC installed by 4 wheel parts so not sure if it is the factory installed cooler or one that came with the kit. I'll check with the installer but with so much of the cooler covered, I doubt much air gets to it...especially when going up steep hills slowly.
Also talked with Ripp tech...Ross who said the trans cooler should have been changed from the factory model to the one that came in the kit. Suggested removing splash guard from bumper if factory bumper or drilling holes in it but mine is a Warn bumper with low profile winch. He also suggested that for heavy duty towing many chose to mount an electric fan driven model behind the radiator instead of the Ripp model that goes between the SC and the radiator.

Last edited by Robert Cionni; 06-11-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat...i%25252FHeat_e

You may need a heat exchanger when towing. Some Racers use them. How you would fit it is another challenge. Water cools better than air. For example if you burn your hand do you wave it in the air or do you put it into water?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Cionni
Need help with my 2013 Rubicon Penstar 3.6L. with max tow package. I recently purchased a Moby-1 XTR trailer...loaded weight about 3,000 lbs. Installed a Ripp supercharger to help with towing. Problem now is HOT OIL!!! There is an factory installed tranny cooler but it is pretty much obstructed by the SC. Thinking I need a tranny cooler with a fan but where the heck can I put it? I checked with ORW as they make a tranny cooler to fit with the Ripp SC but they tell me it will not fit the 3.6L Penstar. Any advice would be appreciated.
Are you running stock tire size?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know how much room there is on the 3.6, but this where I put mine on the 3.8. I don't tow anything, but have never had "Hot Oil" with this set-up

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChuckMRN
Don't know how much room there is on the 3.6, but this where I put mine on the 3.8. I don't tow anything, but have never had "Hot Oil" with this set-up

What tranny cooler is that? I have a Ripp and my transmission gets hot when climbing the hill to Big Bear.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Are you running stock tire size?
Running 33s so not too massive. I think the issue is more the towing stress going up hills.

Quick Reply: Ripp Supercharger and Transmission cooler