Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Triple Rate/RS9000XL Woes

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RK Triple Rate/RS9000XL Woes

I ordered the new RK triple rate coils, 2.5", from Northridge 4x4. Triple rate is splashed all over the page. I buy them, and after weeks of backorder, I open up the box today and see something suspicious. The model numbers are the same (RK03300/03301), but I take a closer look and the rear coils are the old progressive style that RK used to sell. Thank god I checked, because I feel like I got duped.

When I sold these, and bought the 1.5" springs, those ones did all appear to be triple rate. So something is fishy...

Cool story, bro-- I know. But, I wanted to remind everyone to check what you order to make sure you get what you wanted. I remember there was an issue with the triple rates before because they all use the same part numbers as their linear predecessors.

The 2.5" springs: (rears do not have closely packed coils)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	566508
The 1.5" springs: (notice all the closely packed coils)
Click image for larger version

Name:	jpg.jp.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	571776

Edit: As of 8/17, no response back from RK. I PM'd them and bumped this thread numerous times asking for answers.

Last edited by bonanza; 08-17-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanza
The perfect storm hit today. Next weekend I planned out a good install block of time. I have all my parts ready-- bumpstops, track bar bracket, shocks, springs. I'm doing an inventory of things I just got to make sure it's all good to go, and disaster. First, the shocks:

I ordered Rancho 9000XLs from 4wheelparts. They specifically called me to ask my lift height, and I said 2.5". Great, right? Nope. I check the part numbers today, and they sent my XL26s (0-2") for the front and XL30s (4") for the rear. Call them up, and no customer service on Sundays, so I'll have to try again tomorrow. Strike one.

"My favorite store, Northridge4x4, surely did it right!" I thought. I've spent thousands and thousands from their site before without any issues. I ordered the new RK triple rate coils, 2.5", from their site. Triple rate is splashed all over the page. I buy them, and after weeks of backorder, I open up the box today and set my eyes on Strike number two. The model numbers are the same (RK03300/03301), but I take a closer look and the rear coils are the old progressive style. Thank god I checked, because I feel like I got duped.

Cool story, bro-- I know. But, I wanted to remind everyone to check what you order to make sure you get what you wanted. I remember there was an issue with the triple rates before because they all use the same part numbers as their linear predecessors.

Attachment 566508

I'm pretty sure the Northridge issue isn't their fault due to the fact the springs were sent to me by some bizarre company in New York. The 4Wheelparts issue is just another reminder to do research yourself instead of assuming someone else will get it right. Regardless, had I not caught these and went forward with my install I would have bigger issues down the road. Good luck out there everyone!
not 100% certain but I think they kept the same numbers and I think those look like mine and mine came from RK and they said they were triple rates.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

The fronts are triple rate-- I can tell from the closely packed coils at the top. The rears, however, do not have those same feature. They are the same spacing from top to bottom.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

That pic you posted was the rear I assume, yes?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

My rears are more closely compacted just like the fronts than both of the pictures posted.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're going to want shocks for a 3" lift. RK springs are known for giving more then advertised.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 20JK10
I think you're going to want shocks for a 3" lift. RK springs are known for giving more then advertised.
I have 4-6" fox as recommended by RK for my 2.5". Bilstein the 3.5-5" is recommended. Basically a 27" extended and 16" collapsed (not exact) shock is recommended.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I have 4-6" fox as recommended by RK for my 2.5". Bilstein the 3.5-5" is recommended. Basically a 27" extended and 16" collapsed (not exact) shock is recommended.
What bump stops are you running? Flat fenders?

Also I'm worried about the underestimate from RK. I've read that some people are close to 4" lift on the 2.5s on a 2dr? I have a metal bumper up front an a 35 on the teraflex hinge, but the idea of 4" lift is scary. I head they give more than advertised, but 4" is a bit silly if true. RK needs to rename these coils if that's true.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bonanza
What bump stops are you running? Flat fenders? Also I'm worried about the underestimate from RK. I've read that some people are close to 4" lift on the 2.5s on a 2dr? I have a metal bumper up front an a 35 on the teraflex hinge, but the idea of 4" lift is scary. I head they give more than advertised, but 4" is a bit silly if true. RK needs to rename these coils if that's true.
I have 2.5" or 2.75" teraflex Bumpstops. Stock cut fenders. The advertised weight is loaded so with heavy bumpers and armor and all that good stuff. Check out flexer07 rig I believe. I think he has a 2 door but running the 1.5" RK coils and it sits nicely.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pure Performance group owns Rock Krawler and Ride FX if that's who you got stuff from. They are located in NY.

Quick Reply: RK Triple Rate/RS9000XL Woes