Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge tire carrier linkage

Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge tire carrier linkage

Anyone heard of these or had a chance to try it out?

It looks like the same thing as the couple other one-motion swing out tire carriers, but curious as to how well it works.

http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/je...hd-bumpers.php

at bottom of page
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'm interested in this as well... anyone find the install instructions yet? i wanna know if it will eliminate the original latch.

Mark
Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

i been wanting to get the AEV tire carrier using my rugged ridge rear bumper since i not to crazy about rugged ridge tire carrier
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

I'm really curious about this because it would be nice to ditch the extra step involved in getting into the back.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are hoping to have the first batch ready early next month. They are not on the market yet.

You still use the tire carrier latch. They work in conjunction for added safety.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

so you unlatch tire carrier and just open and close tailgate freely? and swing out should follow along seamlessly?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds cool, but not sure how well it would work for me... my latch is kinda tight and just unlatching it seems like it swings the carrier maybe 2-3 inches away from the gate... if it's attached to the gate i may not be able to even unlatch my carrier...
hope it's not a two handed affair unlatching the carrier with one hand while working the gate door handle with the other

any more info or a link to the installation PDF would be great whenever you can.

Mark
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VWang
so you unlatch tire carrier and just open and close tailgate freely? and swing out should follow along seamlessly?
Correct..
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mbjeepxj
sounds cool, but not sure how well it would work for me... my latch is kinda tight and just unlatching it seems like it swings the carrier maybe 2-3 inches away from the gate... if it's attached to the gate i may not be able to even unlatch my carrier...
hope it's not a two handed affair unlatching the carrier with one hand while working the gate door handle with the other

any more info or a link to the installation PDF would be great whenever you can.

Mark
Not sure .. ?

Your carrier may be off a little. There should be a tight fit when closed but your rubber snubbers on the tailgate will stop the carrier before it hits the lock post. Then with the tailgate closed you push the carrier in (snubbing to the rubber stops ) and lock the latch.

We will have instructions up soon.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rugged_Ridge
Not sure .. ?

Your carrier may be off a little. There should be a tight fit when closed but your rubber snubbers on the tailgate will stop the carrier before it hits the lock post. Then with the tailgate closed you push the carrier in (snubbing to the rubber stops ) and lock the latch.

We will have instructions up soon.

I checked after i posted that and it's not as bad as I originally thought... maybe moves almost an inch before it clears the latch post... i'm just used to pulling on the latch handle a little harder that i'd like to, but it's tight and doesn't rattle so i'm happy with it for the most part...

at the very least, i'm interest in this to eliminate the pin the holds the carrier open... to me it holds it open way to far out... darn near hits the parked car next to you in tight parking lots...
plus, the original pin broke way too easy... i've got a big eye bolt and nut wrapped in some rubber tubing to keep it from rattling... works ok... but i lost the shiny chrome rub strip on the second day (adhesive didn't stick to the textured powder coat very well)... my "aftermarket" pin is scratching the powder coat now that the rubber nipple i put on the end wore off...

anyway.. . i'll probably get one of these linkage deals just to keep the carrier from swinging so far... then get one of those strut things from woods to hold the whole thing open

Mark

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge tire carrier linkage