Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spare inside jeep?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare inside jeep?

anyone come up with any clever ways to mount a spare inside thier jeep and still have some room left for storage. My tailgate is starting to feel the stress of my spare and i cant afford a new swing-out yet.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2dr I can lay my 35" flat when the back seat is removed. I tie it down with some utility rope and stack stuff on top of it. It may not be the best, but it works.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default tire carrier

I have thought about building a type of pre-runner style tire carrier similar to the tire carriers that go in the beds of those trucks to go in the back of my JK unlimited. I think that it would effectively take the weight from the tailgate and also increase the departure angle by not having a spare tire hanging on the back.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

This is on my to-do list this spring. No kids, dogs or circus clowns so the back seat is permanently out. Gonna line-x the tub and am thinking of rigging something like they do with all the spares in cars. Just a long rod that'll screw into the tub with something on top to hold the spare in place.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like this, I saw it in a show room, it looks very cool.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	land-rover-defender-svx31.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	18438  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Have you put the Daystar Bump stops on your tailgate... help out a ton with any rattling and stress... just take it off when you wheel.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by S10x1000
Fabtech Angled Tire Carrier

Fabtech Flat Tire Carrier

Ive been considering that angled one but it says it only holds up to a 35" tireand I plan on going bigger than that.

They are made for truck beds but I bet it would work with the rear seat taken out.
Those are exactly what I was thinking Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

this is a problem for me as well. I dont want to put the stress on my tailgate but cant really afford to remove my backseat becasue of a little one. I was hoping for somehting to pass the time until i had the money to drop on a new tire carrier bumper. I guess i could always remove the seat and throw the spare in the back whne i go wheeling.

EDIT: What about the High Rock Over sized tire carrier? It says some hwo it elimenates stress on the tail gate? ANy one have it or care to explain how it works?

Last edited by rubican!; 01-29-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

i was thinking of fabbing a rack that goes from one side to the other. I plan to use the holes that are there for the hard top. I have a 4 door so i think that should still leave me room for plenty of crap underneath the tire. My tire seems to rest slighty on the bumper so i thought that would help relieve the stress but it started making noise this week after every bump i go over so i want to get it off. I would just throw it in the back but we havea baby due in 8 wks so i will need the room in back for a stroller, or whatever.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YOGURT

37in in the back.
WOW! That is a cool JK!!

Quick Reply: spare inside jeep?