Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spare tire removal

Old 10-23-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare tire removal

Does anyone know, if I wanted tto remove mmy stock spare tire carrier, is it legal to run with out a third brake light? And what do you do with the cable that supplies power to the light?
Thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most states you need a third brake light
Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

If you get a rookie cop he might give you a ticket but I ran with mine off for over 2yrs and never got a second look. If you unplug the third brake lead inside the tailgate you can pull the wire through the hole on the outside and unbolt the carrier and it will all come off in one piece.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

yea those 3rd brake lights are a waste who cares if they catch someone's attention so they don't rear end me……………………..
Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
yea those 3rd brake lights are a waste who cares if they catch someone's attention so they don't rear end me……………………..
Screw you dude. I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I came on here to ask a question. If you don't have anything constructive or helpful to add then don't say anything. Cars in the 90s and older didn't have third brake lights and they run them all the time.

To everyone else,
thank you for the input. I kinda like the clean look of no spare or carrier on the back. I do light offroading, no rock crawling or anything, so the spare isn't imperative to have on the jeep at all times. Just was curious . Thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

actually they came into law in 1986 and studies show they work but hey I could give a rip. What I said was constructive. You want to get ass ended have at it. I know where I live you get a ticket for it if you have a vehicle that came equipped with a 3 rd brake light and do not have it in operation.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take it off and add a small one somewhere. Then when you go to get an inspection, you're legal. And when someone "ass ends" you, you can smile as you take their insurance money and buy upgrades for your Jeep.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

ive been without one for 4 years now and had no problems.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its a state based law, so you would have to check your state.
Here in GA you are not required to have one, but if you do have one it must work. AKA dont just unplug it, remove it completely.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Federal government required them starting model year '86 on cars and '94 on trucks. Almost every state, if not every state, has laws on the books that state "all original safety equipment must be in place and in good working order"

In Maryland if you have a beer and get stopped you're pretty much going to jail and the related fees usually amount to about $15k.

For this reason alone, I try not to give the police any "easy" reason to stop me.

Plus.................

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT

Quick Reply: spare tire removal