Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprintex or Maguson Supercharger on 3.8....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprintex or Maguson Supercharger on 3.8....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

I been researching supercharger for my 2010 JK and the two I'm trying to decide between maguson or sprintex both intercooled. I can get the sprintex intercooled for $4250 and the Maguson is $5850. Does anyone have any input on them? I know about problems that may arise with a supercharger but just want input of members that actually run either and what are their thoughts about the performance gain and durability. Just like to choose the one thats going be the most efficient and effective in helping my 3.8 wake up a little bit with my 37 inch tires.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Montero26
I been researching supercharger for my 2010 JK and the two I'm trying to decide between maguson or sprintex both intercooled. I can get the sprintex intercooled for $4250 and the Maguson is $5850. Does anyone have any input on them? I know about problems that may arise with a supercharger but just want input of members that actually run either and what are their thoughts about the performance gain and durability. Just like to choose the one thats going be the most efficient and effective in helping my 3.8 wake up a little bit with my 37 inch tires.
Just checking before you blow $5k on a supercharger, have you regeared yet with your 37s?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Yes 4.88
Old 02-18-2016, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Magnuson

I've had the Magnuson for around a year now, maybe more, and it's been 100%. There are no error codes and the Jeep pulls up the mountain passes here in Colorado with ease. I can cruise 75 mph easy in the mountains. I'm only getting around 13.1 mpg in town but I'm not too concerned with that. I have 5.13 gears. My understanding is the boost is pretty mild with the Magnuson which should help with reliability.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by co99xj
I've had the Magnuson for around a year now, maybe more, and it's been 100%. There are no error codes and the Jeep pulls up the mountain passes here in Colorado with ease. I can cruise 75 mph easy in the mountains. I'm only getting around 13.1 mpg in town but I'm not too concerned with that. I have 5.13 gears. My understanding is the boost is pretty mild with the Magnuson which should help with reliability.
Does the the Mag have that amazing whine like the sprintex? I had a cobra and that sound is addicting!

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 02-18-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Does the the Mag have that amazing whine like the sprintex? I had a cobra and that sound is addicting!

You can here it but it's not that loud....unless someone is really listening I don't think they would know the Jeep is supercharged.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default I think either is good

Personally I have the Sprintex and have had it on for about 25,000 km. I bought mine before the intercooler was available and upgraded to the smaller pully + IC when it became available.

The hardware is absolutely top notch.

I think that NONE of the SC vendors have the tune properly waxed out of the box so be prepared to spring for a custom tune. The internet is littered with the "you are the only one having this problem" from all of the blower companies.

I suffered through the early days with Sprintex until they got it mostly right. About a year ago I got involved with a custom tuner Diablotoona and this made a world of difference.

I also think that there are cruise control surging issues with most of the vendors in some cases.

I am now getting the same fuel consumption as they Jeep got stock and I have adequate power. In terms of performance the Sprintex comes in right off idle with a very flay torque curve across the RPM range. I know the RIPP is more top endy and I don't know about the Maggy.

Yes the Sprintex wails like a banshee. If you pull the air filter its addictive.

I think one very real advantage of the Sprintex is that it retains the factory air box.

Interesting fact is that Kenee Bell, a long time SC manufacturer (although not for our platform) will void your blower warranty if you fit a K&N style cold air intake. They call them "hot air intakes"

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...AirWARNING.pdf

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Sprintex.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Montero26
I'm looking into a sprintex myself. ...is the intercooled option recommend or necessary?

Old 02-20-2016, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've watched the developement of the Superchargers on JK's for a long time (member here since 2006).

Ripp was the first to introduce a supercharger for the JK. I believe it is a actually a Vortech unit.They have had the least complaints and the most praise. I think they are worth a look at least. They also sell a longtube header package that will net you some real gains with or without a supercharger.

The Sprintex has not had a very good reputation for getting their tune ironed out though lately it seems the complaints from owners have settled down. Not sure if it's because they fixed their issues or, people just aren't buying them like they were when they were first introduced.

The Magnuson falls somewhere in the middle. From what I can tell based on this forum they are a fairly solid unit.

AEV sells a re-branded one that I think is either an Edelbrock or Magnuson. I don't remember which.

I came very close to putting a Ripp on my 2010. I decided to sell it and use the $5k towards my new 2015 with 3.6 and not go bigger than 33's. The new one feels like a Corvette compared to my old one.

Good luck in whatever you choose

Last edited by LidLess07X; 02-20-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I considered an SC for a while. The Sprintex seemed to have an abundance of complaints about tuning issues so opted against that one despite it being fairly affordable. The Magnuson unit was what I had decided on for a few reasons. One reason being is that in my opinion it seemed to appear ore stock than a Sprintex. But if I recall there were a couple complaints about that one as well. But the individuals that o actually spoke to said they liked there Magnuson. FYI, AEV does not mess with them anymore..
In the end I did neither because I came across a Hemi swap thread posted by "Elusive" that seemed to indicate a V8 swap could be accomplished for less than $10k(but that is dependent on your mechanical abilities). So I did that. If you are willing to spend nearly $6k on an SC, for $1500-2000 more you could do a Hemi swap. And you can sell your 3.8 and trans for $1500+. And not to offend anyone with a 3.6, they are really not that impressive. I have driven a few stock 3.6's. Was disappointed.

Last edited by Da20captain; 02-20-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Sprintex or Maguson Supercharger on 3.8....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!