Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Knock

Old 03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Knock

There are a bunch of threads online and on this forum, but I wanted to open one up for some help.

I am hearing a "knock" in my steering when moving slow and turning the wheel sharply. Mostly in tight turns and backing out of my driveway. I can feel it in the wheel when it happens and have no idea how to start diagnosing this. I replaced my tie rod and drag link this summer, unfortunately with MOPAR due to my 15" wheels. At the recommendation of JK505, I retorqued my axle side track bar nut/bolt and the problem has continued. I don't have a torque wrench but I put a lot of force in and got it really f'ing tight. I think this weekend im going to remove the trackbar because I am a couple threads off from center and then re tighten it all. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a torque wrench from a friend. IF that doesn't help, I'll have a friend turn the wheel while i look around at the linkage.

Any other ideas of what this could be, or how to narrow it down?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any signs of death wobble?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

What year? I have a slight knock in my steering column I read that the steering columns exhibit these symptoms when warm due to the slip joint metals expanding at different rates... Probably on the older models mines an 08... Just a thought... Other than that check ball joints?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's an 08, but the problem is present in warm or cold weather.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I had this driving me crazy. At first only in driveway and parking lots. At speed it wouldn't pop or I would not feel it. Lifted up no symptoms. It ended up being a loose track bar(3/4tuen or so), steering stabilizer also needed a bit of tightening I tightened and noise has been gone for a good 8 months. Try those first!

Just saw you already tried track bar mine was loose at the axle

Last edited by cormac827; 03-24-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a clunk a while ago when turning (usually when accelerating after a stop) - for me it turned out to be a loose sway bar end link. Might be worth a look.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took a look at the bushing in the steering shaft. It looked to be a little out so I pushed it in as much as I could. This is what it currently looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150324_170609.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	602941
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went on a local fire trail last week and the knock came back around half way through, but not as bad. I was in 4lo if that makes a difference. When I got home the bushing didn't looked like it moved but I gave it a good push anyway. The knock is gone again. I think it's related to the bushing but not sure how to replace it
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Do you have a drop pitman arm?
If yes. You could put be putting to much strain on your steering box. Which could be it.

Check all your ball joints.
Check your wheel bearing.
Do you have adj arms? Make sure your joints are good.

Make sure u joints are good.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NJKURPat
I went on a local fire trail last week and the knock came back around half way through, but not as bad. I was in 4lo if that makes a difference. When I got home the bushing didn't looked like it moved but I gave it a good push anyway. The knock is gone again. I think it's related to the bushing but not sure how to replace it
Sorry didnt see you diganosed it.

Quick Reply: Steering Knock