Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension and ride quality - not another lift thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and ride quality - not another lift thread

Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions, of which there are many around here

I've read the stickies, numerous build threads, Dirtman's patient replies... trying to absorb and learn as much as possible, but I still wind up confused at all the options.

I've got a 2008 JK with stock rubi tires. Years ago I nabbed rubi springs and shocks (went from 13/14AB fronts to 17AC fronts and 59AA rears - don't recall what rear was to begin with).

My issue - any trail I ride has washboard type ruts that I can't take faster than 10mph unless I want to lose teeth! Last weekend I went for a group run and within seconds was left in the dust - my front suspension sounded loose and noisy and my rear end kept sliding out left and right. Yes I did air down and disconnected sway bar. I'll be honest that I felt pretty annoyed and defeated because I don't know where to start. Would shocks alone help? Are the springs too stiff? Need better bumpstops?

I know the jeep is meant to go slow and crawl, but 90% of my time is spent getting to that location and 10% is crawl pace. So lay it on me, where should I start where I'm not wasting dough replacing things over and over trying to figure it out solo?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ready to learn as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	popcorn-blank.gif
Views:	275
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	647395
Old 05-17-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Did you air down ? How about disco the swaybar?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Did you air down ? How about disco the swaybar?
Yes, did both
Old 05-17-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Here is a typical trail (forest road) and ruts...

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	982.0 KB
ID:	647420

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	647421

I've gotten passed by everything from FJ's to stupid Honda CRV's.

Last edited by BLK08JK; 05-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Hydraulic bumpstops or potentially SumoSprings (bumpstops) will help you out. If you look at the "go fast/ prerunner" kits, that's the only real difference.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock springs are not really designed to do Pre-Running activities. Neither are the stock shocks. If you want to do some Quasi Pre-Running your going to need some decent dual rate springs,shocks, and for extreme stuff hydro bump stops. All this equipment is not cheap. I have the TeraFlex Fox 2.0 with reservoirs and LSC Adjusters. They were just over $1400 shipped. I looked into Fox Hydro Bump stops at $600 a pair I just went with Rubber ones. Once I get my next quarterly bonus check I'll probably get all 4. But Right now my tires are wearing down so I'm moving up to 37's. Dual rate springs are the best of both worlds they start stiff for road use due to the tighter spring loops then as they compress the softer they get less loops. Great part about Fox or King products is they are adjustable and can be rebuilt.

Don't go cheap on suspension parts you will just regret it later...

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 05-17-2016 at 03:15 PM. Reason: *Got it mixed up*
Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shit that looks like a nice Sunday drive to me. Smooth sailing homie. What tire pressure you going down to? I usually go down to 8-10 psi on non beadlocks. Gets nice and squishy. Bett hats your problem.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with chuck air down to 10 psi. Also hopefully you don't have E rated tires. Unless your hitting some big stuff at high speed hydro bumps are a luxury. There is a cool video on the TeraFlex site promoting their hydro bumps they are cheaper than king or fox but they are also not adjustable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poz0lpGP0m8
Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Shit that looks like a nice Sunday drive to me.
Right???! That's why I want to shoot myself when a stupid vw bug passes me!

I've got the rubi mud terrains so not E rated. I typically don't air down below 15psi, so maybe that's my whole issue? I've been blaming my shocks this whole time.

Are there top speed recommendations when psi is low? How low is too low for 32" BFG mudders? No beadlocks of course.

Quick Reply: Suspension and ride quality - not another lift thread