Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on intakes

Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say snorkel as well. Couple guys in my club with CAI's and they go around every puddle they can find, as it was mentioned before, the belt does through water so you do not need to be very deep to get water into the airbox or to soak your intake cone. My 2 cents is to stay away from a CAI if you want to enjoy the JK outdoors. If you are driving around the city, go for a CAI if you like one.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for y'alls help I'm going to look more in to the snorkel idea as i hadn't thought of dropping a K&N in to it.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by robbins84
thanks for y'alls help I'm going to look more in to the snorkel idea as i hadn't thought of dropping a K&N in to it.
Stay off dirt roads with that K&N filter. The fine dust gets through it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Air Filtration Test
Agreed, a quality paper filter is what I use.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Say dude that stuff doesn't work at all. My patented 'Magic Beans' (tm reg) are what the folks really need. Now back away from my booth boy...
On second thought... come back with the info for the people that designed your label and I'll give you 2 pouches of my beans.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 12-02-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Super Freak

First off these things are not cold air intakes at all, but rather short ram intakes. It is true that a CAI will add horsepower to certin cars if the setup is right, however these are already high horsepower cars and the CAI is located normally in the grill to get the air from outside the vehicle, and even with these vehicles the increase is minimal. The fact of physics come into play with a naturally asperated engine, and nothing but increasing the air pressure comming into the intake (eg. Supercharger) can change that. Everything in the engine, espescally the intake manifold has remained the same including the vacuum drawn by the combustion chambers. Even if the add on intake could make for more airflow, it would still be limited by the air intake runners.
A waste of money in all aspects.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ayup, as Lorrel stated... not really getting "cold air". Most of the units are placed in the engine bay and as we all know, that is one hot muthah in there. No real cold air. Also other choke points along the way will restrict the air flow due to the design of the throttle body, intake runners and so on down the line. I run a K&N drop in filter with the stock box. Some will argue against the K&N or other reusable filters but I like it, works well out here in the Mojave Desert, have yet to find any dirt or oil on the throttle body from using it. Snorkels are a good mod but one more thing you have to watch getting snag on an over hang or tree branch.

Bottom line is, its your money and rig, do what you feel is best for you and the conditions to which you use it.

Originally Posted by Lorrel
First off these things are not cold air intakes at all, but rather short ram intakes. It is true that a CAI will add horsepower to certin cars if the setup is right, however these are already high horsepower cars and the CAI is located normally in the grill to get the air from outside the vehicle, and even with these vehicles the increase is minimal. The fact of physics come into play with a naturally asperated engine, and nothing but increasing the air pressure comming into the intake (eg. Supercharger) can change that. Everything in the engine, espescally the intake manifold has remained the same including the vacuum drawn by the combustion chambers. Even if the add on intake could make for more airflow, it would still be limited by the air intake runners.
A waste of money in all aspects.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Air Filtration Test
x2. I've posted this here before in response to K&N filters. If you're not running a race car, where a VERY minimal flow difference might make a difference, all you're really getting is more dirt in your engine.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

What about snorkels pointing forward during a heavy rain? Ain't that prone to water getting in also?

Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CajunTiger
What about snorkels pointing forward during a heavy rain? Ain't that prone to water getting in also?
Not enough to matter, even in a heavy rain.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on intakes