Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips to improve throttle response?

Old 10-08-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips to improve throttle response?

I have a 2015 JKU Sport S Automatic and I noticed the vehicle does not have very quick throttle response. AKA I push the gas pedal and it accelerates almost .5 second after it is pushed. Looking for tips to improve this. Not looking for a SuperChip etc. I heard Throttle Body Spacers may help?
Any suggestions without a thousand dollar modification.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 605jeep
I have a 2015 JKU Sport S Automatic and I noticed the vehicle does not have very quick throttle response. AKA I push the gas pedal and it accelerates almost .5 second after it is pushed. Looking for tips to improve this. Not looking for a SuperChip etc. I heard Throttle Body Spacers may help?
Any suggestions without a thousand dollar modification.
Well, there is no cable that operates the pedal, but an electronic form of throttle control that uses input from the gas pedal speed/angle, that translate this into requested torque from the PCM module and controls/check the opening rate of the gas pedal vs engine RPM and a plethora of other electronic checks that are performed, which translates into driver feeling when you push the gas. Save for electronics to modify this behavior that alter certain parameters in your calibration , i don't think you have no other way of changing this other than marketing , there is a device that people swear by it can help, for $200-300 or so you can change your pedal feeling if this is the only thing you expect to change out of the vehicle. Even superchips won't be $1000 anyways, i think is also $300 or so but i'm not sure if it helps or not, there is people with Superchips around here that can tell you though.

Best of luck
Old 10-08-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A throttle body spacer will cost you performance.

If ypu are looking for better throttle response, I highly recommend a Sprintbooster.

It changes the the signal sent from your pedal to think you are pusher harder or deeper on the gas pedal. It does NOTHING to actually make more power from your engine, but definitely improves throttle response.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an engineered purpose to the throttle response in the JK, more control during off road driving. Make sure you want this when modifying.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X

It changes the the signal sent from your pedal to think you are pusher harder or deeper on the gas pedal. It does NOTHING to actually make more power from your engine, but definitely improves throttle response.
Why not just push harder or deeper on the pedal with your foot?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goaterguy
There is an engineered purpose to the throttle response in the JK, more control during off road driving. Make sure you want this when modifying.
Agree. The Sprint Booster has 3 settings changed with a push button. Off, medium, and high. I have had one for close to 6 years and it does change the pedal response feel. It is pricey though at $300. I also saw a thread where someone said theirs went haywire and did a wide open throttle without the gas pedal down.

I hope if that happens on my rig I am quick on the key, the pucker factor would be intense. However the throttle lag without it annoys me so I will continue to use it.

Or you could do what ronjenx suggests!, but it is not quite the same for me. Hard for me to explain the difference. It is not so much pedal travel but the lag between pushing the pedal and the engine responding.

Last edited by Yankee; 10-09-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
Agree. The Sprint Booster has 3 settings changed with a push button. Off, medium, and high. I have had one for close to 6 years and it does change the pedal response feel. It is pricey though at $300. I also saw a thread where someone said theirs went haywire and did a wide open throttle without the gas pedal down.

I hope if that happens on my rig I am quick on the key, the pucker factor would be intense. However the throttle lag without it annoys me so I will continue to use it.

Or you could do what ronjenx suggests!, but it is not quite the same for me. Hard for me to explain the difference. It is not so much pedal travel but the lag between pushing the pedal and the engine responding.
I have read (in JK forums) of the throttle lag quite a bit over the years the JK has been around. I don't see it on mine or the JKs I have worked on. I'm sure if it were there, I'd get that gut feeling of "something's wrong here", especially in traffic.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have read (in JK forums) of the throttle lag quite a bit over the years the JK has been around. I don't see it on mine or the JKs I have worked on. I'm sure if it were there, I'd get that gut feeling of "something's wrong here", especially in traffic.
It could just be perception on my (and apparently some others) part. Then again, I do not remember noticing the "lag" until I went from the 3.8 to the 6.1. That may have changed my expectations.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running superchips. I noticed throttle is way more responsive well worth it
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
I'm running superchips. I noticed throttle is way more responsive well worth it
At over 500 bucks for the Superchips for the 2015, Idk. I dont feel comfortable with a flash to my ECU

Quick Reply: Tips to improve throttle response?