Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing With Rock Brawler ll

Old 10-03-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
Well anyone who knows anything about welding/metalfab can easily visually inspect the bumper and know within seconds that it is more than strong enough. I have yet to see any poor quality welds from Poison Spyder on any of my parts or the others I've seen in person. They may not be the prettiest show quality welds done for looks, but again, comparing the bumper and hitch to the factory tow system, one can easily come to the conclusion that this bumper is well beyond the stock system in durability. It does not matter that it is not "tow-rated" that is a formality in ways. They didn't have it certified as tow-rated because that would add a great length of time and money to their initial process of designing the bumper. And then they would have to be liable for every single possible towing failure related accident that could arise. Not being tow rated is their way out of those aspects. The factory tow attachment bolts on with 4 bolts if I remember correctly, and into the weak, thin sheetmetal that the rear crossmember is made of. Anyone with common sense can tell that is weaker than the PSC system. A proper weld is also the strongest point of attachment to any fabricated metal. If anything was to fail, it would be the bumpers attachment points into the thin, weak sheet metal frame/crossmember. Being that, the bumper attaches with 10 points, it is not going anywhere. I would bet money on the proposition that if the JK had a powerful enough diesel motor to tow 10,000lbs, the bumper would be totally fine. Yes, it is tow at your own risk, as is every tow job. Unless someone else (uhaul or someone) hooks your trailer up and accepts responsibility then it doesn't hardly matter if your stuff is tow rated. If it fails, you still have a big problem. Being cautious is always good, but being realistic and not over cautious is also nice.
Even if it is stronger than stock. If something happens when towing, even if it is not the bumpers fault, your liable and your insurance is denying any claim and you are getting sued or charged. No matter how strong it is, if it's not rated it is just building the case showing how you are negligent and how your disregard caused everything(even if it didn't).
Old 10-03-2015, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the point is that it's not going to break unless you do something unfeasibly insane to cause it to. I'm also confident that in the event of any wreck or crazy avoidance maneuver, if anything is going to be the weak point it will be the trailer you're pulling and not the bumper. Not being tow rated is of little importance when the bumper is unquestionably stronger than the stock system which IS tow rated. I'm not one to be over-cautious to the point of hindrance in my life

Quick Reply: Towing With Rock Brawler ll