Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tq/bump stear trouble shooting after rk 2.5 x and artec install.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
Thanks for all the info. The track bar bracket is part of the artec truss system and it has 3 mounting locations. It is welded in as part of the truss. Let me get some better pics up this evening or tommorow to help with u guys seeing stearing angles and the bracker. I think there be a bit of an optical issues ion from my pic.
I know see that Artec sells a truss with no raised bracket and a raised bracket for flip links. I got the raised one but the bottom part of the drag link and track bar are pretty parallel. Is there an area to measure or check for difference in being parallel. Also at what percent aprox does the out of parallel effect steering. Last two questions for now. Is there a benefit to track bar other then nessesity to correct geometry of stearing. What brand do folks recommend that will work with fox ATs stabalizer and 2.5 RK lift. Okay one last question. Will I need taller springs with flip kit? If it is a good upgrade regardless I might just pick one up but don't want to buy new springs which will put alignment, bump stops, shock setup and a whole bunch of new headaches. Thanks Doug.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It may be easier to try and get a single picture that shows the mounting holes on both ends of both bars. Then open the pic in paint or another editor and draw straight lines from mounting hole to mounting hole, (or center joint to center joint?) and you can easily see how parallel they are. Since he bars have bends in them, straight lines in a pic can be easier to read.

This pic was posted in a bumpsteer thread a while back. Even though the actual mounting holes couldn't be seen in his original picture, adding the yellow lines to it showed a good guesstimate of the angles he was working with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2538745476.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	585195

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-21-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

looks like you got the raised track bar bracket. The stock height bracket only has 2 holes in it.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you opted for the raised height track bar bracket that is designed for 3"+ lifts. It is also designed to be used with a drag link flip and that usually require 3" bump stops or knocking the frame to prevent hitting all setups are different though. That said looks like you need to get a drag link flip or the stock height bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3395206262.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	585207  
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks to me like you could use the lower hole and fix your problem. I just went through the same thing, once I went back to the bottom hole my problem went away.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bottom is still about 1.5" higher than the stock location so it cant be used without issues. OP, just get a flipped draglink and tapered knuckle insert. Its a lot easier than cutting off a bracket and welding on a new one. You will have to run 3" of bumpstop though.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well the lower hole looks perfect. It is off about 2 to 3 inches at the bottom 50 percent from bottom of track bar to drag link. Drag link has lot of slop in it. You are right it is wrong bracket. I read their website. If I move to the lower hole it looks perfect but I am not sure with articulation if u will clear the axel housing with arb covers. The hole where my mounting bolt for my ATs looks perfect. Except I am not sure how a front track bar moves during articulation.

So next 2 questions how does a front track bar move during articulation and if I go with drag link I have 2inch bump stops now so would I just need 1 inch spacer drag link and call it a day. I would like to do it anyway after seeing the slop in stock one. But sounds like I could lose articulation. Is notching frame labor intensive for welder? Here are pics of flex, swat bar link at duff cover and a couple others but it's off about the size of a good fist.

Name:	image-2158675434.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	585280   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3059210505.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	585281  
Old 11-22-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Photo

Name:	image-1199173356.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	585282  
Old 11-22-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT
So next 2 questions how does a front track bar move during articulation and if I go with drag link I have 2inch bump stops now so would I just need 1 inch spacer drag link and call it a day. I would like to do it anyway after seeing the slop in stock one. But sounds like I could lose articulation. Is notching frame labor intensive for welder? Here are pics of flex, swat bar link at duff cover and a couple others but it's off about the size of a good fist.
With 3" front bump stops, my tire (35s) is about 1.5" away from the front fender support at full flex. I was considering a frame notch, but I'm going with 37s next so less bumps would have some body rub. Notching is intensive if they do it right. Notching, checking clearance, etc.

I'd get a straight on shot like nthinuf's picture. Here's mine, used the DL boots and track bar bolts as reference, without them and the lines it will look deceiving.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well guess I will see if I can move track bar to other hole with out rubbing on diff. If not then I will get a drag link flip. Any recommendations on which is easiest to work with thanks.

Quick Reply: Tq/bump stear trouble shooting after rk 2.5 x and artec install.