Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tq/bump stear trouble shooting after rk 2.5 x and artec install.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tq/bump stear trouble shooting after rk 2.5 x and artec install.

I have rubicon Jku 2013 with 35s. I had the RK flex kit and resently upgrades to the 2.5 flex kit and at same time I had ARtec truss and ball joints installed. 35s are BFG aT at 28lbs.

When I accelerate the wheel pulls to left let off gas at high speed and goes to right. Dips in road do same thing.

Had front end alignment done and they got me ar 1/8 toe and 4 3/4 caster. They had to center axel a bit as well. I didn't have rear checked. My installer said it doesn't matter if u tighten the arms on the ground or on lift. He tightned on lift.

I am going to trouble shoot this weekend and was looking for help. I was woundering if maybe it's my thrust angle, ball joints need to losen up, rear axel not centered or if I should losen all arms jump on bumper and retighten. So I was going to do the following
1. Check rear axel center.
2. Check rear toe.
3. Losen the arm bolts. Jump on bumpers and tq to spec

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can stear angle get out of wack with 2.5. It looks parallel. I can post pics later if that is possibility.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have raised trackbar mounts front or rear? Still running the stock draglink?

Your installer was wrong about torquing the arms on the lift. It should always be done at ride height to prevent premature bushing wear and ensure a more comfortable ride
Old 11-21-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay. Can the bolting on ground cause stearing issues? The track bar is bolted to the artec truss. Shocks are fox for lift. Few pics. I don't know if tb mount is in stock location or not. The empty bolt is for my fix ATS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3115182805.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	585187  
Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Top is stock location
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like previously mentioned, tightening things up on the lift is horribly wrong. I actually drive the jeep for around the yard so everything settles, then park on a flat surface and finishing torquing to manufacturers specs. Make good and sure that you check every single bolt and nut. That is likely the problem.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the above picture, it looks like your draglink is lower than your TB at the Axle/knuckle side. You want the draglink and TB to be as parallel as possible to fix the bump steer. You may require a trackbar flip to fix it. I have the artec truss, synergy TB bracket and DL flip kit installed on mine and i also have the RK 2.5 X-Factor. No clearance issues at full flex with 33" tires.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That is a raised trackbar bracket in the pic, correct? As noted, raising the axle end of the trackbar without also flipping the axle end of the draglink (up on top of the knuckle) is the cause of your new bumpsteer. Draglink flips generally require a minimum of 3" extended bumpstops to keep the draglink from contacting the frame.

Do some measuring to see if you can make it work, or consider removing the bracket...
Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info. The track bar bracket is part of the artec truss system and it has 3 mounting locations. It is welded in as part of the truss. Let me get some better pics up this evening or tommorow to help with u guys seeing stearing angles and the bracker. I think there be a bit of an optical issues ion from my pic.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Space Monkey
From the above picture, it looks like your draglink is lower than your TB at the Axle/knuckle side. You want the draglink and TB to be as parallel as possible to fix the bump steer. You may require a trackbar flip to fix it. I have the artec truss, synergy TB bracket and DL flip kit installed on mine and i also have the RK 2.5 X-Factor. No clearance issues at full flex with 33" tires.
Did u do this Because you wanted better steering components or did you do this because of nessesity of steering issues like I am having. Did you get the artec truss that didn't come with the track bracket ? Mine came with bracket in picture. Thank you for the info.

Quick Reply: Tq/bump stear trouble shooting after rk 2.5 x and artec install.