Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are some good A/T Tires for 17" Moabs?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some good A/T Tires for 17" Moabs?

Just looking to get something smoother and much quieter than my BFG M/T's. Whats good?

I dont mind a street tire but then I prefer something that looks a little more rugged.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Muscles
Just looking to get something smoother and much quieter than my BFG M/T's. Whats good?

I dont mind a street tire but then I prefer something that looks a little more rugged.
You'll find a great many people are very pleased with the Goodyear Duratrac's. On the more aggressive side in appearance for an AT ...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm considering either Duratracs or BFG KO2s in a 33 myself. Aggressive ATs that are relatively light. Duratracs get good reviews, and the early reviews on the KO2 also are pretty good. May come down to which I can get a better deal on. Don't have either yet, but my stockers will be ready to be replaced by this summer.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You'll find a great many people are very pleased with the Goodyear Duratrac's. On the more aggressive side in appearance for an AT ...

Cool those look nice and meaty too. I'll check them out. Great looking Jeep! That front bumper is perfect. What kind is it?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Former Member

And does anybody know what size tires will fit on 17" Moab rims?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ext_17_moabmachine.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	604405

Is it only 255 75 17 ??
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

duracraps err i mean duratracs are good if u dont drive on rocks...get on the rocks and those mall tires will get slashed quickly.

if you do any type of wheeling around rocks i would stay away from street tires.
(my folks own a goodyear and i hear nothing but horror stories about duratrac offroad on rocks)
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by jksteve2013
duracraps err i mean duratracs are good if u dont drive on rocks...get on the rocks and those mall tires will get slashed quickly.

if you do any type of wheeling around rocks i would stay away from street tires.
(my folks own a goodyear and i hear nothing but horror stories about duratrac offroad on rocks)
I only do street driving in my Jeep. Rocks are overrated.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Mark,
Roughly how many miles are you getting from a set of Duratracs? My stock KM1's are almost ready to go after 60k and I'm leaning towards the Duratracs.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Ive heard good things about the falken wildpeak at
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Muscles
And does anybody know what size tires will fit on 17" Moab rims?
Is it only 255 75 17 ??
Many sizes will fit the rim, but how big you go will depend on whether you want to run wheel spacers, how much lift you have, if you run stock fenders or are moving to flats, how much bumpstop you run, whether it is all street or disconnected offroad, etc, etc.

With no modification, you probably shouldn't go bigger than a 33x10.50 or so (or its metric equivalent). If you are willing to do spacers to move the tires out and either add a lift or chop the fenders, you might go up to 35x12.50. It just depends on the overall build.

For the tires themselves, look at the specs list for the size you decide on. It will show a recommended rim width range. Some shops will not mount wide tires on the narrow stock rims. Others will. Many people are running 35's or larger on them without issue, so just take it as another thing to consider.

For AT tires, I have run 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, 35" BFG and ProComp AT's, and am now running 37" Falken Wildpeaks (Discount Tires version, the RockyMountain). Nothing really bad to say about any of them. None of them have that overly-aggressive "I want to be a MT tire" look, though, so if that is a consideration you might look elsewhere.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-01-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: What are some good A/T Tires for 17" Moabs?