Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers

Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some tire shops like Discount won't even install 35's on stock wheels due to them being too narrow. They are VERY strict about manufacturer recommendations. Plus when/if u air down, there is a greater chance of popping beads with a narrower wheel. With that said, I did what u wanna do. I installed spacers for the added width on stock wheels, then took them off and went with an 8.5" wheel when I stepped up to 35's. Spacers are functional, but they also are cosmetic. Ah... decisions!!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cjnomo
Some tire shops like Discount won't even install 35's on stock wheels due to them being too narrow. They are VERY strict about manufacturer recommendations. Plus when/if u air down, there is a greater chance of popping beads with a narrower wheel. With that said, I did what u wanna do. I installed spacers for the added width on stock wheels, then took them off and went with an 8.5" wheel when I stepped up to 35's. Spacers are functional, but they also are cosmetic. Ah... decisions!!!!
So spacers may be ok for my stock wheels until I upgrade to 35s, and then ditch em?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackie27
So spacers may be ok for my stock wheels until I upgrade to 35s, and then ditch em?
absolutely!!!! Install them correctly and ur good!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Red threadlock and be sure to torque them down properly. Let them set till it dries, and don't ever mess with the spacer nuts again. Some people claim u should retorque after 50 miles. BS!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Why even install spacers with factory tires?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Why even install spacers with factory tires?
because they look better with the tires coming out just a bit. Also if you have longer sway bar links in back they will end up rubbing/hitting on the bulge of your tire.
I am the odd duck and put lots of miles on and when I am doing a long road trip/vacation and I know I wont be doing harder off-roading I put my stock rims and smaller tires back on with spacers. I figure why wear out my big tires burning pavement and easier for my wife and dog to get in and out and a bit better mpg.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have swapped between stock rims and my aftermarket rims several times a year as I like running two sets of tires. At first I used the red locktite but after the 4th or 5th time I stopped using it. never once were the spacer nuts even remotely loose ( I used to do the pull the rims and check per spidertrax instructions after 50 miles and never once did one move at 90 ft/lbs) now just a small dab and I mean small dab of blue. People need to do what they are comfortable with tho not what some bonehead like me on the internet says. Do it by the book until you know what is going to do.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers