Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Newbie ????

Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Newbie ????

Frankly I don't like being termed a 'newbie' simply because I haven't sent in enough posts to this forum. My reasoning is that I'm 83 now and I did my first off roading in the 1950s in the Canadian Army, driving 4x4 Field artillery tractors, 3/4 ton trucks, Jeeps, 6x6 2-1/2 ton trucks and tracked Penguin oversnow trucks. I bought my first new 4x4 in 1964 and, to date have owned 2 British, 2 Japanese and 5 American 4x4s, including 3 Jeeps. I've driven in 50 states (excluding AK and KS), the Yukon and 8 provinces (excl NFL and PEI). I've ridden a 750CC bike from ME to WA and return, and all up and down the east coast, towed a 26' sailboat from FL to WA behind a much modified Cadillac, and have taken 4x4s off road in AK, ME, WA, ID, MT, ND and SD as well as BC, Man., Sask. Ont., N.S. and the Yukon. While we're not into rock climbing, we do love to run the forest service roads and other trails and just completed a week long on and off road trip through BC. Well, maybe that explains why I don't like to be termed a 'newbie'. It grates me! - Ted
Old 05-24-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yep

I certainly can relate to notion of being called a newbie. I too have had lots of experience with driving 4 wheelers. Started with the old M151A1 in the USArmy (did 26 years there) and drove just about everything they had that rode on wheels. With some of the larger vehicles, didn't matter where you went - forded water up to 4 ft deep (that was just joy riding) and never gave a thought to rocks, ruts, or trees. But I am a new JK owner (and long time lurker) so I'll go with the flow here.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the intro Ted! Great to have you here on the forum
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

See below post

Last edited by dahreno; 05-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright Ted, calm down. First of all you say you have driven 50 states, excluding AK and KS. I know you are old and don't actually live in the USA, and you may even remember when we only had 13 states but, the last time I counted there were only 50 states total so, if I subtract the two states you have not driven in, um, that would be 48 if my math is correct. Now, all this math becomes real cloudy and complicated when later you stated you have been 4x4ing in AK. So, depending if you actually have been driving in AK, ( I assume this is Alaska you are referring to ) these mathematical equations I have performed here today, may change. Please check for us in the ol' memory banks and clear up this matter. One more thing, I don't like being called a newbie either, I'm a grandfather for crying out loud ! Also I hope you get my style humor, many don't ! Welcome here ! Oh yeah, don't call my Frankly, it's not my name.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default 48, not 50

Dahreno: You're right. I've only driven in 48 states, just got confused a bit in my rant. But, I still don't feel like a 'newbie' when it comes to 4x4s, Jeeps or off roading. - Ted
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newbie only refers to your status with the forum. You are new here, as your ettiquite shows. It's fine. post more, become involved with our community and your rank will change. You didn't miss it, there just isn't a place for you to fill in your four-wheeling godliness upon registration. The newbie tag shouldn't bother you much, for this exact reason.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Default Newbie

As an old timer you should enjoy the title. I know, years ago I did. Just enjoy the JK crowd. With all your years of experience, you should have a lot of good input for everyone to enjoy. The more you give, the better you'll feel and before you know it you won't be a NEWBIE anymore! Enjoy your Jeep, enjoy the group! Happy Jeepin!

Quick Reply: Newbie ????