JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/gas-tank-overflows-while-pumping-automatic-gas-pump-nozzle-222592/)

grandjunktion 03-12-2012 04:57 AM

Gas tank overflows while pumping with automatic gas pump nozzle?

Is anyone out there having the trouble I am while filling their gas tanks up using the automatic feature on most typical gas pumps out west. I know back in the northeast they no longer have this feature, where you can put the gas pump nozzle in your gas tank inlet, squeeze the trigger and then set it to automatically shut off when your tank is full. What happens is that it starts overflowing a bit of gas out of your tank before it shuts off. This only started happening recently, in the last month, but I'm sick of wasting and smelling of gas while at the pump. Any suggestions? I've tried doing it manually and it also happens a bit.

Bigb 03-12-2012 05:10 AM

This is common with the JK. Mine does it, but I haven't had a chance to take it in. I've heard they replace the tank for this issue.

danmojo82 03-12-2012 05:14 AM

Its common and although I havent taken mine in yet, it does do the overflow on occasion. Several people on the forum have taken it in to get replaced and I even read one actual post of the TSP a while back. But yes, you can take it to the dealership to get fixed.

FoxRacingJMC 03-12-2012 05:33 AM

Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.:thumbsup:

kbern119 03-12-2012 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC (Post 2898709)
Happens to a lot of people, nothing new. I live in jersey, so its still full service....that being said, I avoid saying "fill it up" and say a fixed $ amount that i know won't fill it.... overflow diverted.:thumbsup:

^ x2 , annoying, but not annoying enough to drop it off at the dealership for undetermined period of time....

Slim 03-12-2012 06:22 AM

The first time I filled my used 2008 JK (about a year ago) I got splashed with gas. I took it in and the dealership replaced the tank under a recall. What year JK do you have?

roadking54 03-12-2012 06:43 AM

It started happening to my 2008 about 3 months ago. It started as a slight spit up and the last time I was washing my windshield and looked back to see fuel spraying 10 feet in the air non stop until I killed it.

I am out of warranty at this point.

I took my JK in to get the transmission cooler lines replaced due to a slight leak, which they covered under a TSB extended warranty due to this common occurence, and I told him about my gas tank issue. The service guy said no problem, we will order and install a new gas tank for free also, that is common. I go back in for service on this in a couple weeks, and he said it should only take a couple hours...unless you have a lot of additional belly armor.

....I was fully expecting a heated debate over the cost of this repair and was pleasantly suprised to have both issues covered no sweat.

wcfd111 03-12-2012 06:48 AM

Regardless if you have a warranty or not the dealership will replace your tank at no charge.

Jeep Unlimited 03-12-2012 06:51 AM

Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.

Sahara_Maverick 03-12-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeep Unlimited
Mine doesn't overflow but instead it 'pukes'. I learned to fill on the slow setting with the nozzle jamed as far down the filler throat as possible and it solves the problem.

That works for me too.

Why is the auto setting being removed in the east?