Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra 75 Overhead

Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra 75 Overhead

I've had my Cobra 75 for three Jeeps now and while its range leaves something to be desired, it's the perfect radio to communicate with groups you're running a trail with or people in the general vicinity. However, I've never been a fan of mounting it near the radio or the passenger handle bar in fear it'll interfere with the airbag. Likewise, I don't use it enough to warrant it being near the dash, but I do want it accessible for both planned runs and spur-of-the-moment trails.

So, by simply getting the Cobra AC702 extension cable and drilling a couple small holes in the trim plastic, I was able to mount the unit above. The extension cord allowed me to run the cable along the passenger side a-pillar while keeping the remote unit behind the glove box. The cord easily feeds out of the notch in the center for the auto-dimming rearview mirror. You can use any microphone clip, but make sure it's got the little knob in the center to better secure it for bumpy roads and mount it using tiny nuts and bolts (don't just screw it into the plastic). The a-pillar plastic is thick enough that it doesn't droop or sag from the weight.

The result is nice and clean. It's out of the way, doesn't interfere with the mirror or sun visors, remains secure when bouncing around, and doesn't really affect windshield visibility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160513_204938.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	648395
Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a really clean job. How much does the cord interfere with your driving view?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't find myself instinctively looking around the cord. Yeah, it's obviously a small obstruction, but it isn't a nuisance or bother. I can still see everything just fine. It's not any different than cars that have a ton of necklaces, fuzzy dice, and other shit hanging off the mirror.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1353722557.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	648506

Here's my cobra 75 remote speaker mounted in the rock hard cage. Keeps the speaker close to my ear so I can hear it without having to crank it all the way up.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangedude71
Attachment 648506

Here's my cobra 75 remote speaker mounted in the rock hard cage. Keeps the speaker close to my ear so I can hear it without having to crank it all the way up.
Awesome. I love it. Does the external speaker kill the audio coming out of the hand unit or do you get audio out of both?
Old 06-05-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Spank
Awesome. I love it. Does the external speaker kill the audio coming out of the hand unit or do you get audio out of both?
kills the hand held speaker. But sounds much better
Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

kills the hand held speaker. But sounds much better
Nice. I may consider a similar modification, but more like a small speaker wired into the soundbar.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Spank
Nice. I may consider a similar modification, but more like a small speaker wired into the soundbar.
you shouldn't cut into the soundbar as its sealed for sound quality (if you can call it that). This is the speaker I cut apart for my mount. Roadpro RP-108C 2-3/4" CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT3DYQ..._28ovxbJNH5SS7. If you search eBay you can find a jeep branded one that looks cooler. Also if any one with a sport cage is looking to replicate this, this thing just barely fit between the round bars from the top side
Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

you shouldn't cut into the soundbar as its sealed for sound quality (if you can call it that). This is the speaker I cut apart for my mount. Roadpro RP-108C 2-3/4" CB Extension Speaker with Swivel Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT3DYQ..._28ovxbJNH5SS7. If you search eBay you can find a jeep branded one that looks cooler. Also if any one with a sport cage is looking to replicate this, this thing just barely fit between the round bars from the top side
I'm not really too concerned with that, especially since poly fill helps make a difference. I'm not necessarily talking about mounting a speaker onto it, but embedding one inside. Of course, I'd want to make it nice, clean, and OEM looking. My thought was a small speaker inside the soundbar with a cover/grill mounted over it and sealed properly. It's just a thought at this point. For now, I'm happy with my current setup. My next Jeep modification involves the Teraflex hinged carrier for my spare and I'll use its CB antenna mount for better signal performance.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Nice setup. Have to ask what is the round tube behind the CB? Appears to be a camera?

Quick Reply: Cobra 75 Overhead