Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Blackout Project - Kill Cluster Illumination

Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 PM
db$
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackout Project - Kill Cluster Illumination

So. I sometime work security at night patrolling a very large, open ranch. There are hills above the ranch that I like to post at to get a good overview of the area. I have successfully installed a "blackout" system that disables/cuts power to my brake and backup lights when activated. This works to my advantage as I can more easily move around without being seen.

Here's my dilemma:

At night, with no lights on, the cluster display (Odometer) is insanely bright - so bright, I'm unable to see without covering it with my hand, or an object. I've used a piece of electrical tape to cover it, but that's not a long-term solution. I would like to see if anyone has any suggestions on fixing this. Offhand, I have a couple thoughts:

1) Kill power to the cluster completely during blackout. Would this throw a code? Would mileage still accumulate (I would assume so)

2) Turn the parking lamp switch on on the control stalk, which would dim the odometer, and then maybe cut the parking lamp circuit?

These are the only options I see. Anyone else have any suggestions???

Thanks
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 AM
JK Newbie

Could you find some of that Privacy Screen material that you can use w. PC Monitors to cover the cluster?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Drape an old t-shirt over the dash and let it go down to the steering wheel. Alternatively, pull apart your cluster and put a piece of translucent plastic folder divider in there. I chose a very light blue for my high beam bulb and it's quieted the light down to where it doesn't burn your eyes but you can still easily see it's illuminated.

There was a very shady guy here a couple years back who was doing the same thing you are but he "couldn't tell anyone for fear of compromising national security" so he received very little help.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Window tint could be a solution but might make the cluster hard to see during the day.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 PM
db$
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Drape an old t-shirt over the dash and let it go down to the steering wheel. Alternatively, pull apart your cluster and put a piece of translucent plastic folder divider in there. I chose a very light blue for my high beam bulb and it's quieted the light down to where it doesn't burn your eyes but you can still easily see it's illuminated.

There was a very shady guy here a couple years back who was doing the same thing you are but he "couldn't tell anyone for fear of compromising national security" so he received very little help.
HA! Well, my security clearance is much lower than his, lol. I think I'm going to attempt to remove the BATT+ pin from the C1 connector behind the cluster and see what happens. If the cluster goes dark, I'll leave the pin out for a while, drive around the block, then re-instert it and see if there are any noticeable effects. If it looks good, I'l just add that circuit to my NC Blackout circuit, and call it good.

FYI, to those who will undoubtedly say it: I'm perfectly aware that driving around with no tail, brake or reverse lights is a bad idea, and illegal in most places. I am a grown-ass man, and know when I can and can't use this feature.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blackout Project - Kill Cluster Illumination

Theres an illumination wire that's on the cluster connector. Should be able to cut it and put a switch in between. I've spliced into it for my rocker switch panel and has worked great so far.

IIRC, it's one of the wires on the right connector, top row.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 AM
JK Newbie

Good Luck - Assuming you have some IR LED Cubes running as well?
http://www.staples.com/Laptop-Privac...s/cat_CL161004 - would canabolizing one of these screens help?
Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by db$
HA! Well, my security clearance is much lower than his, lol. I think I'm going to attempt to remove the BATT+ pin from the C1 connector behind the cluster and see what happens. If the cluster goes dark, I'll leave the pin out for a while, drive around the block, then re-instert it and see if there are any noticeable effects. If it looks good, I'l just add that circuit to my NC Blackout circuit, and call it good.

FYI, to those who will undoubtedly say it: I'm perfectly aware that driving around with no tail, brake or reverse lights is a bad idea, and illegal in most places. I am a grown-ass man, and know when I can and can't use this feature.
I would guess it is one or more of the bus connections on c2. Maybe try that same experiment with just the C2 connector disconnected.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IC2.png
Views:	1179
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	651801  
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Has anybody figured out a kill switch yet? I would also like to kill dashlights.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Just thought I would bring this one back up.
Anyone figure out the blackout switch yet?
I want to get some IR cubes from rigid so I can use night vision while hog hunting and a full blackout would be great.

Quick Reply: Blackout Project - Kill Cluster Illumination