Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Max woofer diameter behind kick panel?

Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Max woofer diameter behind kick panel?

I've got 6.5" in right now, anyone managed to get anything bigger in? Hoping someone might know as looks like a real PITA to gain proper access behind there.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Do you mean in the pods?

I have 6 3/4" Focal woofers. You could probably fit up to 7" but the internal volume of the pod is too small for even a 6" woofer. Going bigger won't necessarily give you more bass. A proper subwoofer is about all that will help.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Do you mean in the pods?

I have 6 3/4" Focal woofers. You could probably fit up to 7" but the internal volume of the pod is too small for even a 6" woofer. Going bigger won't necessarily give you more bass. A proper subwoofer is about all that will help.
Thanks mate. Any idea if there'd be space for a bigger pod? I run 2 subs in the back already, looking at going 3 way up front and was just planning to go with another 6.5" woofer, however if there's a chance of say an 8" I'd look into how that might work out. My subs are 12s though so 6.5 seems like it'd be about right anyway - 6 3/4 is good to know as it might work out to be that.

Just swapped out the HU again, acoustic treatment is next then another amp and the 3 ways. This is the sub box I had done a year or 2 ago, makes great use of the cargo space. Will have the same guys do a dash pod for the mids and tweeters, if there's space and I landed on a larger woofer I'd see if they could knock something up to sit behind the kick panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0821.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	652769

Last edited by nevillebartos; 07-21-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=nevillebartos;4233577]Thanks mate. Any idea if there'd be space for a bigger pod? /QUOTE]

I was just digging around in the speaker pods this morning. There is plenty of room on the driver side to put a larger pod in, but the passenger side pod is quite small. On the passenger side, the pod is already as large as it can be without doing something like removing the glovebox. It runs into the glovebox on the left and the frame of the dash on the right. The biggest 6.5" sub you can fit in there is the Tang Band W6-1139SI. It has a skinny magnet, but still needs a mounting spacer to give you the clearance.

I was trying to figure a way to 3D print bigger speaker pods, but my 2015 jk is already maxxed out on the passenger side.

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...oofer--264-832

Quick Reply: Max woofer diameter behind kick panel?