Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Roger Wilco

Originally Posted by groovebus
Message me with the time, I may be able to go. I'm close by in Anaheim. You only need and adventure pass if you plan on parking your Jeep and hiking. It's just so the forestry service doesn't ticket you.

That's a fun trail, but short. The best way is to take El Toro road in Lake Forest until it hits the "Y" at Cook's Corner bar. Take the right fork until you get to Trabuco Creek road around Oneil Park. Then take the left up past the RC Plane airport.

Directions to Main Divide and Santiago Peak. Take Maple Springs Rd out of Silverado Canyon to the top and make the right at the Main Divide Rd. to Santiago Peak on Saddle Back Mountain. The trail head is at 33°44'51.69"N 117°34'59.04"W. I did the full run from Ortega Hwy to the Maple springs. 25 miles took about 3.5 hours. You can do the north side of the Main divide road but all the gates going down into Orange and Corona are closed at the top. It's still a fun drive but you have to double back to Maple Springs to get down. Holy Jim is fun, but short.

Here is a picture of the 91-71 interchange from Sierra Peak. But like I said, it's a couple hour drive back to get down.

The second picture is Trabuco Canyon from the Main Divide rd.

Will do groovebus. I am thinking about heading out pretty early. Might try to be on the road around 7:30 or 8 to head down there. I'll hit you up later in the week. Thanks for the directions and trail info. It's been several years since I've been out there. Really looking forward to it!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took the family up to Santiago peak for the first time last weekend. I've been up it several time from all directions. Early is good for me. It's an easy drive but fun for quick little fix. Do you have a CB?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tell you what, my friend just moved to Mission Viejo and I mentioned I may be going up Saddle Back Saturday and now he wants to go up the mountain. So I will be at the Maple Springs trail head at the end of Silverado Canyon Rd. in Silverado CA. (It's the Lat and Longs I put in the trail info.) There is really only one road, so you can't get lost. I will be at the Maple Springs Visitor Center parking (link below) at 9am Saturday for anyone that wants to go up to Santiago peak, and see Orange and Riverside Country from 5500 ft. It's probably a good 2-3 hours up and back. It's always more fun with a few more Jeeps. It's a great time to get a new desktop wallpaper picture and get your Jeep dirty. Any bone stock Wrangler can handle this with no problem. CBs are handy if you have one. Those little motorola hand held walkie talkies work pretty good. Radio Shack sells a hand held CB that worked pretty good for a friend of mine. But if you intend on any group offroad trips, CBs are a must. Makes the trips more fun too.

Home - Maple Springs Visitor Center

Little long winded reply, but it's fun to just throw it out there and see how many people show up.

Full tank of gas, water and snacks. And if you use Google maps, watch out that thing will try to put you on the toll road. I-5 to either Jamboree or El Toro road heading north with put you on Santiago Canyon Rd. and on to Silverado Canyon rd.

See you there.

Last edited by groovebus; 07-29-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm In

Originally Posted by groovebus
I tell you what, my friend just moved to Mission Viejo and I mentioned I may be going up Saddle Back Saturday and now he wants to go up the mountain. So I will be at the Maple Springs trail head at the end of Silverado Canyon Rd. in Silverado CA. (It's the Lat and Longs I put in the trail info.) There is really only one road, so you can't get lost. I will be at the Maple Springs Visitor Center parking (link below) at 9am Saturday for anyone that wants to go up to Santiago peak, and see Orange and Riverside Country from 5500 ft. It's probably a good 2-3 hours up and back. It's always more fun with a few more Jeeps. It's a great time to get a new desktop wallpaper picture and get your Jeep dirty. Any bone stock Wrangler can handle this with no problem. CBs are handy if you have one. Those little motorola hand held walkie talkies work pretty good. Radio Shack sells a hand held CB that worked pretty good for a friend of mine. But if you intend on any group offroad trips, CBs are a must. Makes the trips more fun too.

Home - Maple Springs Visitor Center

Little long winded reply, but it's fun to just throw it out there and see how many people show up.

Full tank of gas, water and snacks. And if you use Google maps, watch out that thing will try to put you on the toll road. I-5 to either Jamboree or El Toro road heading north with put you on Santiago Canyon Rd. and on to Silverado Canyon rd.

See you there.
Aight Groovebus count me in. I'll see you at the visitors center at 9! I'll hit you up with a PM. I might have a friend with a JKUR joining as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a plan. The more Jeeps the better.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn, I want to check this area out but can't do Saturday morning unfortunately. Is it a bad idea to go after lunch? And do I understand correctly that my plan to start at Ortega end and cruise up to Santiago then down to Silverado will be thwarted by gates? I'm not a fan of backtracking so want to go out a different way.

Are there any legal but difficult trails up there? I'm not talking Moab levels but something a stock would likely have trouble with. I need more skid plate dings and flex the new kings.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinutty
Damn, I want to check this area out but can't do Saturday morning unfortunately. Is it a bad idea to go after lunch? And do I understand correctly that my plan to start at Ortega end and cruise up to Santiago then down to Silverado will be thwarted by gates? I'm not a fan of backtracking so want to go out a different way.

Are there any legal but difficult trails up there? I'm not talking Moab levels but something a stock would likely have trouble with. I need more skid plate dings and flex the new kings.

Only the Main Divide road north of Silverado is gated off. If you go from Ortega over the top down to Silverado you will be ok. There are a few turn outs with some play areas as you go along. The Main Divide rd. is basically the maintenance road to the antennas at the top and a playground for people that want a quick easy offroad fix. So it doesn't really matter when you go. And another good thing is it is well traveled so if you do go alone and break down, someone will be along eventually The only time they close the road is during rain to keep the road from getting really bad. I did that 25 miles alone once and was ok. Getting to the beginning of the trail is a bit tricky from Ortega depending on which way you start. The road is called Long Canyon and goes in a loop around to the South Main divide road. The road that starts up the hill is a tight cut back that starts in a big turn out on Long Canyon. I've driven past it a couple of times and had to turn around. Here is a site that has map coordinates and stuff:

Main Divide Road - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

All of the access roads are closed off except Maple Springs, Indian Truck trail and Long Canyon. Indian truck trail from Lake Elsinor is questionable. I've seen it locked when it was suppose to be open. I'm just planning a quick trip to the top and back down to silverado.

Last edited by groovebus; 07-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you look my previous post there is the link of the gates open or closed
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. My mom is coming to town and probably not up for some seriously bouncy stuff but I'd like to have a bit of fun. Any suggestions on where I might find some moderate side trails? I'm pretty confident in my rig with the 37s and about 4" of lift with decent armor but again, my mom's hip will probably give out before my Jeep
Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinutty
Thanks for the info. My mom is coming to town and probably not up for some seriously bouncy stuff but I'd like to have a bit of fun. Any suggestions on where I might find some moderate side trails? I'm pretty confident in my rig with the 37s and about 4" of lift with decent armor but again, my mom's hip will probably give out before my Jeep
If you really want more of a challenge go to the Wildomar OHV Park. Here is the forestry service page for it and the directions are at the bottom. It's really close to the trail head for the Main Divide road on Ortega Hwy. It has all levels of offroading with people close by incase you get into trouble. I haven't been there yet but I hear it's a good for an offroading fix.

Cleveland National Forest - OHV Riding & Camping

Quick Reply: Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27