Notices
SoCal If you live in Southern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27

Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea that park was there! I'm going to have to check it out sometime as well! I'm still confused on the ohv sticker programs and what if any I need?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinutty
I had no idea that park was there! I'm going to have to check it out sometime as well! I'm still confused on the ohv sticker programs and what if any I need?
The sticker is for dirt bikes and quads. Red and green stickers. If you plan to park and spend the day you pay a $5 buck or a adventure pass is ok. I usually pay the $5 bucks to help out.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ahhhh ok so Jeeps don't need stickers, that makes much more sense of what I've read California still confuses me at times, but at least I'm starting to learn the crazy laws. I just know I'll catch heat for something soon, a Texas built rig in Cali just seems to be bordering a grey area.

Thanks for all the tips! Time to get some dirt under the tires again actually, anyone know of rivers/mud to play in?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

The red and green stickers are basically for vehicles that are not street legal. Most places require that you have a street legal vehical because they usually have a muffler and don't leak fluids all over the place.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent run up to Santiago Peak on Main Divide yesterday. Thanks Groovebus, it was great meeting the two of you. Here are a couple of shots from the day including one of Groovebus' rig flexing just a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-301520304.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	569105

Name:	image-879917712.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	569106

Name:	image-158283484.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	569107

Name:	image-364508425.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	569109

Name:	image-3741135790.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	569110

Name:	image-2348491343.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	569111

Name:	image-3482280390.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	569112
Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a cool shot of my Jeep. It was a fun quick trip. I'm glad we beat the rain down.

Last edited by groovebus; 08-03-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like y'all had a clearer day than I. Sunday afternoon from Ortega made to the peak but went through rain and cloud, inside the jeep was a new experience. Tried to go down maple springs side but a kid in his pickup had different plans unfortunately, an axle shaft coming loose is a problem in the middle of the road going downhill. Hope it was an easier fix than it looked to be. Anyway, had a good time taking my mom out there and she got to do a few geocaches which was fun also. Now I know I need to check the other side
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinutty
Looks like y'all had a clearer day than I. Sunday afternoon from Ortega made to the peak but went through rain and cloud, inside the jeep was a new experience. Tried to go down maple springs side but a kid in his pickup had different plans unfortunately, an axle shaft coming loose is a problem in the middle of the road going downhill. Hope it was an easier fix than it looked to be. Anyway, had a good time taking my mom out there and she got to do a few geocaches which was fun also. Now I know I need to check the other side
We got lucky and got down the mountain right as the rain was heading into Orange County. We got a nice view of it coming over the I-15. Did you have to back track all the way back to Ortega or did you get around the guy working on his truck? We saw a crazy older gentleman in a Dodge Caravan at the summit. I think he was drinking a little and I know that road isn't super technical, but a minivan must not have been a fun drive up that mountain.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of backtracking so went out the Corona way which minimized that. When I left the kids father was apparently going to head up with a trailer and c-clip? I didn't bother to help any further since they seemed immune to my limited suggestions anyway. Where he got stuck was pretty much just past the first switchback on the way down from the peak if I recall. Another 10 feet forward and everyone could have gone by...
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Haha

Yeah the minivan thing was a little interesting! Can't believe he drove that thing all the way to the peak with a whole 3 inches of ground clearance. Than van must have been protesting the entire way! We did have a pretty great view of the rain moving into the area and it was great to get down before anything started up. Of course maybe a little would have helped the dust factor a little bit!

That is great Infinutty that you got up with your mom! I showed my friends that wanted to go but didn't join us the pictures from the day and they were super jealous and want to schedule something to go soon. I'll post back on here when the trip is on the books so if you guys want to join up you can. Might end up being like 5 or 6 Jeeps! Serious caravan.....no wait no caravan's allowed....only Jeeps.....caravan's shouldn't be driving up that road, that guy must have been drinking!

Quick Reply: Holy Jim This Sunday - July 27