Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!

Yesterday morning, I drove up into the mountains here in Colorado and parked so I could go for a hike.

When I left the vehicle, I locked the doors as usual using the lock button on the key. (This is a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with the factory security system).

When I returned, I tried to unlock the doors as usual using the unlock button on the key. However, nothing happened, the doors wouldn't unlock.

So I unlocked the driver's door using the old-fashioned key. This of course triggered the alarm (horns beeping, lights flashing).

I stuck the key in the ignition and tried to start the vehicle, but could not. Alarm just kept going off.

I tried pushing the unlock button a lot more times and that didn't help. Neither did the panic button. I then dug out the second key and tried everything with that, no joy. Alarm just kept going off and the vehicle wouldn't start.

It seems the horns (yes, we found there are two of them) will stop beeping after a time. But the alarm system never deactivates, so the lights keep blinking and if you keep fooling around the horns will start tooting again.

The only way to make it stop is to disconnect the battery. We left it disconnected for nearly two hours, but as soon as we touched the terminal to the post the alarm started going off again.

Does anyone know of any reset procedure or anything that can be done in the boonies to get this vehicle started and out under its own power? Or have other ideas they are confident will work? I am now down in town. Getting back up to the vehicle will be a bit of a challenge, I will have to find a local who is willing to drive me up there. So I'm not going to do that unless someone is very confident they have a fix.

Otherwise I am looking at a sizeable recovery bill. I am in Colorado, don't have four-wheeling friends here, and will have to pay for a towing service to come recover it.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In your owner's manual, there should be a section on resetting the security system.

Also, you could open your fuse box underneath your hood and pull the fuse for the security system, wait a few minutes, then reinstall it.

A similar thing happened with my wife's 08 JKUR. Pulling the fuse, waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Sometimes this type of thing is caused either a car battery getting drained too low. Sometimes it happens when the wrong key is placed in the ignition.

There may be a reset procedure on 12+ JKs that involves inserting the key in the ignition, turning it to on (but not start), and the turning it off a few times with a sequence of 2 or 3 times. I do not know exactly that sequence, but a dealer might, or it might be in your owners manual.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
In your owner's manual, there should be a section on resetting the security system.

Also, you could open your fuse box underneath your hood and pull the fuse for the security system, wait a few minutes, then reinstall it.

A similar thing happened with my wife's 08 JKUR. Pulling the fuse, waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it fixed the problem.

Sometimes this type of thing is caused either a car battery getting drained too low. Sometimes it happens when the wrong key is placed in the ignition.

There may be a reset procedure on 12+ JKs that involves inserting the key in the ignition, turning it to on (but not start), and the turning it off a few times with a sequence of 2 or 3 times. I do not know exactly that sequence, but a dealer might, or it might be in your owners manual.
I have the full manual downloaded on my computer. There is nothing I can see in there that describes a reset procedure. It says "to disarm the vehicle security alarm, you will need to push the "unlock" button on the RKE transmitter , or turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position." None of those steps are working in my case. It seems the vehicle is suddenly not receiving or "recognizing" the key/RKE transmitters.

We heard from a non-professional mechanic about the reset procedure involving turning the key to "on" and back off three times, then turning it to "on" and pressing the brake pedal. We fooled around with many variations on this, nothing happened.

I wondered about the battery. But it is the stock battery and the same age as the vehicle. I drove continuosly for 3+ hours prior to parking. So it certainly shouldn't be low but I didn't have a multimeter to check it.

We did try pulling all fuses that seemed remotely relevant, but didn't necessarily leave it out as long as you suggested. However, as noted the battery was disconnected for a couple of hours, shouldn't that have helped?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

I finally got through to the Jeep service advisor at the nearest dealer (in Silverthorne, CO).

I fully explained what happened and he is fairly certain it is a bad (or at least low) battery.

When I explained the difficulties of getting back to the vehicle and trying anything, he said he was so confident the battery is the problem that it would be worth the trouble. And certainly worth trying before paying for a recovery.

So I'm trying to line up a ride (and buy a multi-meter, one thing my tool kit lacks) to get back up there.

There are some folks with an ATV who are camped below the tough part of that road. They told me yesterday they could run me up the trail if I need to reach the vehicle. So that's very helpful, but obviously I'm limited on what I can take up with me while riding the back of an ATV.

I do have a Jump-n-Carry in the Jeep but not sure how to use that to help. Just reconnect the battery, hook up the Jump-n-Carry, and see if the jeep will start?

Or could we disconnect the battery, then hook the Jump-n-Carry to it for awhile in hopes it would bring up the voltage? Any other suggestions for recharging the battery if the only other vehicle available is an ATV?

I still wonder if the battery IS low, and if we get it recharged (or end up replacing it out there), if that will be enough to reset/shut off the security system...

If it turns out to be the battery and I do get it going, obviously I am driving it straight to the dealer for a full diagnosis. Note this vehicle only has 5200 miles on it...
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

I've had the same problem with my jku! Won't unlock with the button so I use the key and the alarm goes off. Only way I've gotten it to stop is start my jeep with the right key. I replaced my battery with a blue top dry cell and replaced the battery in my key. Still does it every now and then, I've gotten to the point I just lock it with the door button and don't even use the key. Hope you find a fix it might be my problem as well. If I were closer I'd drive up and help you get it down! Good luck!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AlexUnlimited
I've had the same problem with my jku! Won't unlock with the button so I use the key and the alarm goes off. Only way I've gotten it to stop is start my jeep with the right key. I replaced my battery with a blue top dry cell and replaced the battery in my key. Still does it every now and then, I've gotten to the point I just lock it with the door button and don't even use the key. Hope you find a fix it might be my problem as well. If I were closer I'd drive up and help you get it down! Good luck!

What do you mean by "start it with the right key"? I have both keys that came with the vehicle. I can't start it with either of them. And the vehicle seems to be completely ignoring both keys as far as the lock and unlock buttons go.

While in the future I definitely won't be using the remote (key push buttons) to lock the door in the boonies, I do want to be able to do that and set the alarm in other circumstances. And I should be confident I can unlock it and disarm the security system every time, not just some of the time!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Back in town after spending several hours with the jeep (and battling with the crummy wi fi here).

The voltage on the battery was good, but we went ahead and plugged in a known good battery borrowed from the folks camping in the area (who were helping me out with their ATV). The problem remains the same: the security system is armed and we can't find any way to disarm it.

With the battery connected, if I get in and close the doors and wait for the alarm to stop going off (lights stop flashing; we unplugged the horns to spare our ears), the red light on the dashboard continues to flash slowly, indicating that the security system is armed.

At that point, several times, I've tried pressing the unlock button on the keys, but that did not disarm the security system. If I put a key in the ignition and try to start the jeep, the alarm will start going off again and of course the engine won't start.

At this point, it appears that even if a battery problem caused this situation, there's nothing we can do in the field to disarm the security system and therefore get the vehicle running.

If anyone DOES know of any reset procedures that haven't already been tried, please share. But at this point, a tow job seems inevitable.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

The only time I've experienced an issue like this it was on my '08 Adrenalin Sport Trac - changing the battery on the remote was all that was required to fix it. Reminds me to add a spare battery to my small tool kit in the Jeep.

I hope its that simple for you as it sounds like you've tried everything else you can do in the field.

As as with others, if I were anywhere close I'd help you get it down.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I had this happen on my 07. I needed to reset the wireless control module WCM fuse see this youtube link for location.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HQ7B6mPvs

Good luck
Old 07-13-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ScorpionJK
The only time I've experienced an issue like this it was on my '08 Adrenalin Sport Trac - changing the battery on the remote was all that was required to fix it. Reminds me to add a spare battery to my small tool kit in the Jeep.

I hope its that simple for you as it sounds like you've tried everything else you can do in the field.
It seems extremely unlikely BOTH keys (or their batteries) would go bad at the same time. One is used regularly; the other is usually tucked away at home but I had it in the vehicle for this extended trip. I've noticed no decline in the range of the one used daily, and in the past I've usually seen that when the little battery is dying.

With everything else going on, I forgot to pick up some new batteries for them. Since you reminded me, tomorrow morning I'll see if I can round up a couple batteries before I head back up.

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!