Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know in my warranty book there is an 800 number to call and if I have a problem with it while it's still covered they will tow it for free.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vehicle is up in Mosquito Gulch. Access is via the Mosquito Pass Road, aka Park Co. Road 12, from CO state highway 9. Are you nearby, RoysRig?

As for Chrysler Roadside Assistance, they will not pay for an "offroad recovery." They will pay for the part between the nearest dealer and the point where the vehicle reaches the edge of the pavement. Just like pretty much any roadside assistance plan.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with them Sunday night. In part because when I first called and explained the situation, the woman I talked to stated they would cover the full cost of the tow. And then, contrary to my instructions, dispatched a local towing company in the middle of the night to the road I named. I was in bed in my motel in a nearby town and started getting calls, including from the driver who apparently was dispatched with a big roll-back. The towing company was not even informed that the vehicle was up a jeep trail and that a 4WD recovery vehicle would be required. And certainly weren't told not to do anything without first talking to me (as I instructed the Roadside Assistance woman).
Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 702Rubi
The vehicle is up in Mosquito Gulch. Access is via the Mosquito Pass Road, aka Park Co. Road 12, from CO state highway 9. Are you nearby, RoysRig?

As for Chrysler Roadside Assistance, they will not pay for an "offroad recovery." They will pay for the part between the nearest dealer and the point where the vehicle reaches the edge of the pavement. Just like pretty much any roadside assistance plan.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with them Sunday night. In part because when I first called and explained the situation, the woman I talked to stated they would cover the full cost of the tow. And then, contrary to my instructions, dispatched a local towing company in the middle of the night to the road I named. I was in bed in my motel in a nearby town and started getting calls, including from the driver who apparently was dispatched with a big roll-back. The towing company was not even informed that the vehicle was up a jeep trail and that a 4WD recovery vehicle would be required. And certainly weren't told not to do anything without first talking to me (as I instructed the Roadside Assistance woman).

No sorry. I was hoping you were closer to Georgetown. I would have loved to help out, but between some how damaging my elbow last night working on the fenders and not having much movement in my right arm this morning and having the Jeep still in pieces, I don't think I will be able to me much help today. Sorry.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

There is a facebook group called Colorado4x4 recovery and they live for this type thing. You might want to hop on there and give some details about your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Colorado4x4recovery/
Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
There is a facebook group called Colorado4x4 recovery and they live for this type thing. You might want to hop on there and give some details about your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Colorado4x4recovery/
I'm not on FB so I can't even look at their page.

Can you provide me a direct contact number for someone in that group? I emailed my phone number to you (I'll PM it too). Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 702Rubi
I'm not on FB so I can't even look at their page.

Can you provide me a direct contact number for someone in that group? I emailed my phone number to you (I'll PM it too). Thanks.

I've thrown your situation and your contact info up on FB/recovery. Good luck, and if I get any messages back I will forward them to you.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

And keep me updated on your situation so I can keep the FB group updated.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That fuse mentioned earlier was the issue with my wife's 08 JKUR.

An internal light had been left on for a long time while the jeep sat. It drained the battery. The symptoms were essentially the same you describe. I found a thread either here or on another forum where someone mentioned disconnecting the battery and pulling that fuse, then waiting something like 5-10 minutes. Then, reinstall everything and jumpstart the jeep. That fixed it, and it never happened again.

In addition to the Facebook page, there is a forum in Colorado at www.colorado4x4.org.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Just an update, Your info is being shared around on FB. One person gave me this info....

"The recovery request to a member of ours that lives in Fairplay. Haven't heard back yet. Ski Country Shell in Frisco does off road recovery and tows. The Lewark's (owners ) are members of South Park 4x4 Club"

"970-668-3093 is the number for Ski Country. I'll call Scott at Specialized and see if he has anyone that can go"
Old 07-14-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Someone is about to call you.

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!