Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re:

Hm, unless both your keys have become unprogrammed to your jeep, you should be able to start it with the alarm going off and starting it disables the alarm, via the chipped key..
I just had an issue where one of my key fobs stopped working. I entered the jeep with the alarm blaring, put the key in the ignition, started it. Since then, the key fob now works like it should..
Try again with the key...
Dumb question, is your hood closed when your trying to start it... there is an alarm switch there..
Good luck

Last edited by 20jk08; 07-14-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 20jk08
Hm, unless both your keys have become unprogrammed to your jeep, you should be able to start it with the alarm going off and starting it disables the alarm, via the chipped key..
I just had an issue where one of my key fobs stopped working. I entered the jeep with the alarm blaring, put the key in the ignition, started it. Since then, the key fob now works like it should..
Try again with the key...
Dumb question, is your hood closed when your trying to start it... there is an alarm switch there..
Good luck
Is the hood hooked in with the security alarm? Have you actually triggered the stock alarm system by opening the hood? The manual doesn't mention it but I'm unsure if the manual is correct about everything.

Yes, I SHOULD be able to start it with the Sentry Key even while the alarm is activated, but I can't.

While we were dragging it down the trail this afternoon, of course all the doors and the hood were closed but the alarm was going off the whole time (lights flashing...we disconnected the horns).
Old 07-14-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

As for the magic fuse, when we got up to the jeep today I pulled it for about a minute then reinstalled it. No luck, everything was still the same.

We did successfully drag it down the trail with no apparent damage, got it loaded on the flatbed and trucked it to the dealer in Silverthorne. We'll see what they find.

To be honest, I think I would have been better off having some of the local jeepers help me out! Would have cost less. Though to be honest, they did help me out by flatbedding the 4WD recovery truck (an old Blazer!) several miles up the easier dirt to the base of the jeep trail. So I only paid for the part where that vehicle was used, which took two hours.

On the other hand, despite the numerous calls I made to them over the preceding days, discussing in detail what would be required, this morning a single flatbed showed up in Fairplay. No 4WD recovery vehicle on board as I expected. So the company had to dispatch another flatbed with the Blazer on board. Which of course further delayed the whole operation. Despite all this we lucked out with the weather; it didn't start raining until we were getting the Blazer and my jeep loaded onto the flatbeds.

Since I plan to be out here in CO through September, I hope to get contact info (i.e., a phone number) for more persons who like to help out on these recoveries. Who knows, I may need help again...
Old 07-14-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the update. Look forward to knowing the reason!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man glad you got it out. There were a lot of people asking on FB how it was going, unfortunately some recovery crew jumped on it and said they had it handled and everyone backed down at that point.

I wish I could have come and helped out myself but just wasn't physically able today. And with it being the beginning of the week most people were at work.

So anyway next time jump on FB and see if there is going to be anyone else in the area too that can have your back should something go wrong again.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Hey man glad you got it out. There were a lot of people asking on FB how it was going, unfortunately some recovery crew jumped on it and said they had it handled and everyone backed down at that point.

I wish I could have come and helped out myself but just wasn't physically able today. And with it being the beginning of the week most people were at work.

So anyway next time jump on FB and see if there is going to be anyone else in the area too that can have your back should something go wrong again.
Sounds easy enough, but if I'm in the boonies and have no cell service, let alone internet access, an FB page doesn't help me!

On the other hand, with a few names and numbers, I have a satellite phone and could call from anyplace. I saved a couple numbers from people who contacted me but would love to have more...like more members of the "recovery crew" you mentioned.

Sorry, I'm really not interested in getting on FB solely for this; as I pointed out, that FB page won't help me if I'm off the grid.

Since my contact info was put up on FB, I'd still be happy to hear from anyone who's willing to let me have their direct contact info. Then if I need help again, hopefully I could make arrangements with some jeepers who would do a better job and charge me less!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you tell us what you find out!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I'm watching this too. Had similar experiences this spring on my '14 Rubi Unlimited. Lucky for me the alarm did not disable the engine start. I just thought the jeep didn't like the snow...CA model😳
Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Glad to hear you got it down the hill and to the dealership.

Watching with interest for updates on what the problem turns out to be and what the fix is. We regularly trek up the local mountains on our own, similar situation...no cell signal and a bit far off the beaten path for Chrysler recovery.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Just thought of something that didn't occur to me in the heat of the moment. I have a code reader...wish I'd thought to plug it in and see if there were any codes showing up.

I'm sure the dealer will check them, just hope they accurately document any codes they find.

If they don't call me first, I'll be calling them in the morning. Hope they have figured something out, I'd like to get back on the road (and out of this hotel!).

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon disabled in the boonies--need help!