Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS, ESC & MIL lights on and 300 miles from home...

Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, ESC & MIL lights on and 300 miles from home...

Long time reader and first time poster. You folks have been a great resource for me...Thanks!

Anyway, two days ago on mile 299 of a 300 mile trip my 13 JKU Rubicon shutters, chimes, lights up ABS, ESC, and MIL, and goes into limp mode losing all power but not stalling the motor. We pulled over, the brake pedal felt very odd..firm. I turned the ignition off then back on. The lights stayed on and power returned but still felt weird driving it, kind of stuttery. Being just a mile from our destination, I pressed on.

After a day of researching and doing the best I could with just a leatherman I,ve illiminated the usual culprits, the battery terminals are tight, I checked the wheel speed sensor wires, steering wheel is straight, etc. No code with the ignition switch. Found no smoking gun. Disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes. Started it. Lights still on and drives like the brakes are dragging.

Im suspecting a failed wheel speed sensor but I need to get home where I have a wrench and the big hammer for further troubleshooting.

The $64 question: I pulled the J6 fuse. The lights stay on but it drives fine now. Other than the inherent risks of driving without ABS (how did we ever make it to the 1990's without ABS ) or cruise control, can I drive 300 miles home without hurting anything on my jeep?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm stumped, any one else have any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like when my wheel speed sensor for the ABS and TCS went out. You'll need a ABS code reader to verify. A standard code reader won't work. Hope it's a rear as they are easier to replace.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as driving you should be fine, just won't have ABS, TCS, and cruise.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, the drive was no problem without the J6 fuse. Stopped at Oreilly's when we got in last night and their scanner was able to interrogate the ABS. It was the Left rear wheel speed sensor.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kchunk
Yeah, the drive was no problem without the J6 fuse. Stopped at Oreilly's when we got in last night and their scanner was able to interrogate the ABS. It was the Left rear wheel speed sensor.
Super easy to replace. You don't have to jack up the jeep or pull a tire like the front. Uncliping the wiring harness was the hardest part, once that's off its just two 8mm(?) bolts and your done.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

The sensor WAS a super easy fix...the connector, not so much. In a ham-fisted fit of Chrysler induced rage...well, let's just say I need a new connector. As a first time Chrysler owner I understand, moving forward, I'll have to get used to this rage and learn to focus it in a more productive fashion. Dealer wants $50 for the "repair kit" .

The original connector is holding for now and the ABS faults cleared so at least it was a good fix...and a frustrating lesson.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kchunk
The sensor WAS a super easy fix...the connector, not so much. In a ham-fisted fit of Chrysler induced rage...well, let's just say I need a new connector. As a first time Chrysler owner I understand, moving forward, I'll have to get used to this rage and learn to focus it in a more productive fashion. Dealer wants $50 for the "repair kit" . The original connector is holding for now and the ABS faults cleared so at least it was a good fix...and a frustrating lesson.
I've found Amazon Prime to be my best friend when it comes to things like that.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kellen
I've found Amazon Prime to be my best friend when it comes to things like that.
For the chassis-side connector? I searched quite a bit but no joy. I did find the Jeep Jumper from aeromotive . Pretty inexpensive but they're not open till Monday and couldn't really find any other info on it.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you get a part number from the dealership?

Quick Reply: ABS, ESC & MIL lights on and 300 miles from home...