Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission problems 42RLE

Old 05-07-2024, 01:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission problems 42RLE

Hi!

My transmission 42rle started having problems. If I put it in 1, it runs fine. If I put it in 2 it runs fine. If I put it in drive, it goes from 1 to 2 fine most of the times (sometimes it gears rough), but when going into 3rd it gives no power and just revs. I tried opening it up and cleaned the solenoids in the solenoidpack, but still same issue.

What is the next thing to check? Could it be the EPC solenoid? Or is the Torqueconverter the next step?
Old 05-09-2024, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a sample of the xmission fluid, put it on clean white paper, take a picture of it and post it here.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MountainTrails88
Get a sample of the xmission fluid, put it on clean white paper, take a picture of it and post it here.
well, right now it would come out pretty clean since first try to fix the problem was change oil and filter. Then oil hot flushed again when I took out the valvebody do clean the solenoids in the solenoidpack.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you got this figured out. I personally never thought Automatics could be such a pain. I Youtubed this and found a good video. You might have already seen it. If you had the solenoids out already, how do you know they we're good or bad when you put them back in.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like you got this figured out. I personally never thought Automatics could be such a pain. I Youtubed this and found a good video. You might have already seen it. If you had the solenoids out already, how do you know they we're good or bad when you put them back in.

(1) SYMPTOMS OF A BAD TRANSMISSION SHIFT SOLENOID - YouTube
Thank you, Will check that video out!

from what I’ve seen on youtube, the solenoids in the solenoidpack can ger gunked up with junk. You can hear if it moves freely or not by chaking it. 2 out of 4 was gunked up in mine so a demagnatizer, a bit of brakeclean and compressed air got rid of the junk inside the solenoids.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daniellundahl
Thank you, Will check that video out!

from what I’ve seen on youtube, the solenoids in the solenoidpack can ger gunked up with junk. You can hear if it moves freely or not by chaking it. 2 out of 4 was gunked up in mine so a demagnatizer, a bit of brakeclean and compressed air got rid of the junk inside the solenoids.
To me, the o-rings look like something from a hardware store for faucets. And those wear out within a couple of years. And leak! So if you had black gunk, most likely it's from O-ring wear. Me personally , I'd replace the solenoids if you're still experiencing the same problem. And then it could be the control modules.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

To me, the o-rings look like something from a hardware store for faucets. And those wear out within a couple of years. And leak! So if you had black gunk, most likely it's from O-ring wear. Me personally , I'd replace the solenoids if you're still experiencing the same problem. And then it could be the control modules.
the orings looked fine to me. About the control modules, I’ve tried with another computer and same problem
The following users liked this post:
MountainTrails88 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could be clogged port around one of those valves. Can the valve assy be removed?

Oh, never mind. It looks like you already had that out.

Last edited by MountainTrails88; 05-11-2024 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems 42RLE