Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

annoying clunk...

Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine clunks if i dont have the back seat latched all the way down lol

not sure if this will help
Old 01-29-2016, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Out of all the 20+ Jeep's I have owned my 15' JK clunks less than the others, or I am just used to squeaks and rattles at this point. I have seen the tape trick work on various forums but it would be great if you could isolate the clunk while parked and dial it in. Sub'd for a solution.

RockZJ
Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check and make sure the jack isn't loose in its cubby.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I have tried all of these things. The clunk just wont go away it isolating the location seems impossible. It really sounds now like the front passenger foot well area or perhaps front right suspension. I have checked all bolts for tighness. I did tighten the top of the shock mount but the clunk didnt change. it is random in nature and i cannot reproduce i regularly but mostly can when i turn slighlty left at 20-50mph then back. It is more likely when car i warm then on cold mornings. I finally gave up and made an appointment with the dealer for Wed. [my expectaions are low :-)] but the noise is driving me nuts on a new car [2100 miles]. I'll reportback.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ugmw177
It is more likely when car i warm then on cold mornings. I finally gave up and made an appointment with the dealer for Wed. [my expectaions are low :-)] but the noise is driving me nuts on a new car [2100 miles]. I'll reportback.
Maybe the sway bar end link is not tight enough... did you put in a spacer lift?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

no spacer lift or any mods..bone stock.
I had the service writer ride with me this morning. Dealership has the rig for the day to figure it out.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hope they get it nailed down

i also had a clunk coming from behind glove box it was some piping behind there to the right toward door . prob not that but it was a thought i reached in moved them around . unless this is coming from below , let us know what it was
Old 02-04-2016, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

ok guys, it took the dealer all day to isolate the noise. Turns out it was where the roll/sport bar it attached to the A pillar/windshield. Factory misaligned it slightly and did not torque down the bolts so as i reached 1500 miles or so they loosened slightly and the misalighnment would produce a popping/clunking noise as the body flexed. Dealer re-aligned and re-torqued the fastners--Quiet as a library inside again :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ugmw177
ok guys, it took the dealer all day to isolate the noise. Turns out it was where the roll/sport bar it attached to the A pillar/windshield. Factory misaligned it slightly and did not torque down the bolts so as i reached 1500 miles or so they loosened slightly and the misalighnment would produce a popping/clunking noise as the body flexed. Dealer re-aligned and re-torqued the fastners--Quiet as a library inside again :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
lol somehow i dont think so unless it's parked haha
Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crawldad
lol somehow i dont think so unless it's parked haha
so true!

Quick Reply: annoying clunk...