Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a clicking/creaking sound from my front drivers side when acclerating/decelerating and when the suspension cycles. I think I traced it to the drivers side front track bar bushing area. Don't know what to make of it. Its not loose or anything. No problems other than the noise.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if the shaft on the gear box has some play in it. I noticed with mine is the thump is concurrent with the suspention movement on slightly bumpy roads. I'll have to look into the gear box, I hate dealers........
Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troy_boy
I wonder if the shaft on the gear box has some play in it. I noticed with mine is the thump is concurrent with the suspention movement on slightly bumpy roads. I'll have to look into the gear box, I hate dealers........
I agree, we must track this down ourselves. Dealers suck!

I think I may have tracked this down last weekend though......

I actually think its the Electric Disconnect on the sway bar thats doing it. All of us that have this problem need to relay to others if we have the electric sway bar disconnect....?

The reason I say this is, if you disconnect one end of your sway bar (one sway bar link), then grab onto that end of the sway bar and push it up and down, you will hear and feel that exact clunk! It's as if there's slop in the gears inside that electric disconnect! I'm betting this is the problem!

If it is, Jeep is going to have some expense on their end, these parts can not be cheap! I only noticed it after doing some serious 4-wheelin', so I bettin' something internal wore or loosened in the disconnect gear train.

husky~
Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Clumky

I ahve noticed the clunk in my Sahara, which is obviously sans electronic sway bar disconnet. Any other theories out there? I ahven't noticed it degrading the steering at all, but I agree with everybody that it is anoying. But if there is play somewhere in the steering system this would lead to excessive wear.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

The wierdest thing about it in my Jeep is, as I've stated before, it doesn't do it when it's cold? Very strange! I have to drve 10 or 15 miles before it starts clunking.

Is this the same as with others out there?

husky
Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Yes. Mine does not start until it has warmed up pretty well.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huskynox
The wierdest thing about it in my Jeep is, as I've stated before, it doesn't do it when it's cold? Very strange! I have to drve 10 or 15 miles before it starts clunking.

Is this the same as with others out there?

husky
Yes. It starts clunking when it warms up......or......after it hits a few bumps to get it going, dont know. if its a heat thing, is it the gear box warming up? dont seem right. its like the engine warms something near the sound and there you go....what still....

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I have an X and hence no e-disco, so if it's the same "clunk" we're talking about, I don't think it's that. The clunk I'm feeling would probably not be audible from the outside of the vehicle, so I suspect we're talking about different things.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think mine is coming from where the steering u-joints are at. You can move the shaft from steering column when vehicle is off and in park. Feels like there is some play in the steering box. Open up hood next time and move the steering rod and I think that might be it.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a correlation between the heat and the noise. Cold today, no clunking. In the 80's the other day... Clunk, Clunk, Clunk.

When it is cold out the clunking starts after about 40 min. of driving.

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column