Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mslc10
does it feel like a loose shock ..but the feeling comes thru the steering wheel??

I am noticing this tapping/knocking on a sweeping left turn w/ripples in the road...reduced the "feeling"of it by lowering air pressure down from 40 lbs to 35 on my bigger tires. but still think there is something loose somewhere ....maybe the sway bar links...
That's the feeling!!
I think it's something else in the steering column. just a little bit of play 1/16" will cause a "loose" feeling or may be cause the tapping feeling in the steering wheel,
It making me crazy, but this is what you get with first year jeeps or any vehicle.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scootr68
Stopped by the dealer on my way home from work today to see if they would check out the pop/clunk in the steering wheel. They found the culprit...there is a sort of immediate shaft under the dash. The shaft has a coupler that has a rubber coating with two pins in it. The service manager said the pins are not tight in the coupler as they should be. He saw quite a bit of play in it. He can't explain why it only does it when it's heated up. In short they are ordering a new intermediate shaft for the steering column.

This is a possible cause for my new tapping feeling in the steering wheel.

Last edited by Trail Bud; 06-21-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by huskynox
Trail Bud,

Nope, don't have any of that happening at that speed, but I do have a very slight wobble at 40mph. It just started after adding longer springs for my front bumper/winch combo. I'm going to get the tires rebalanced this weekend to see if that cures the problem......? Mine is very, very slight though.

thanks~
The wobble is probably just a big tire issue, for both of us, but I don't want to live with it unless I know I have to.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
This is a possible cuase for my new tapping feeling in the steering wheel.
yep and I DO have the slack in the steering wheel that has been discussed on here also.....I thought it was in the steering box but maybe not....
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Hey Trail Bud, which dealer?

I noticed you live in Tarzana. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind letting me know which dealer you go to? I live in Burbank and have been going to the Glendale dealership on Brand blvd. Just curious. I seems like who ever your dealing with is at least a little more on the ball.

Dkhauver
Old 06-22-2007, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dkhauver
I noticed you live in Tarzana. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind letting me know which dealer you go to? I live in Burbank and have been going to the Glendale dealership on Brand blvd. Just curious. I seems like who ever your dealing with is at least a little more on the ball.

Dkhauver
I go to Dave Ellis Chrslyer Jeep in Canoga park. They are trying and thats what counts for now.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default noise

and your SURE it wasn't the wife/girlfriend?

they can make some annoying noises too

But only when a good song is on the radio...
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

noticed it this weekend after driving down some roads i would tale a delta 88 down (not hardly offroad) ...I noticed after crawling underneath that I could hit the drag link (from pitman arm to wheel) with the heel of my hand and it made a clunking noise (as if loose) .then i put my other hand on the steering gear /pitman arm and the noise stopped .

This confirms my belief that the noise we are hearing it slack or incorrect bearing load of the output shaft of the steering box.

Husky...can you see if you have the same issue? I think this is our cause of the knock when you rock the steering wheel back and forth.... also this would be #11 in the manual on things to check .

this has always been an issue with all my jeeps that I have never fixed.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Default A Fix

My dealer tightened the bolts that are located under the steering column. They are located where the dash and the steering column meet. pop off the plastic cover under the column to expose the bolts.
This FIXED my problem for now. the bolts were tight but not torqued down. That stopped the clunk sound for me. He said if it comes back he'll replace the steering column.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mslc10
noticed it this weekend after driving down some roads i would tale a delta 88 down (not hardly offroad) ...I noticed after crawling underneath that I could hit the drag link (from pitman arm to wheel) with the heel of my hand and it made a clunking noise (as if loose) .then i put my other hand on the steering gear /pitman arm and the noise stopped .

This confirms my belief that the noise we are hearing it slack or incorrect bearing load of the output shaft of the steering box.

Husky...can you see if you have the same issue? I think this is our cause of the knock when you rock the steering wheel back and forth.... also this would be #11 in the manual on things to check .

this has always been an issue with all my jeeps that I have never fixed.
mslc10,

I replaced my steering shaft as I posted before and the clunking is gone. $160 part from Jeep. Part # 55351281AB

The $160 was worth it to me in everyway. The clunking is gone and I didn't have to deal with the dealer. The dealers in SoCal are the worst! Their standard comment on every service record is - "Could not duplicate problem", even though when the service advisor goes on a test drive with me they say; yeah, I can hear it, but don't know what it is......drive it more and see if it gets worse". I hate dealers. 5-Star means NOTHING>

~

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column