Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drumrgal
Is this the spring kit you were talking about?

Steering Chatter Eliminator
That would be it. I need this as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering clunks

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
I have the same clunking sound when I wiggle my steering wheel...and it comes and goes...I haven't taken it to the dealership cause I'm sure they won't hear it or have a way to fix it anyway...at least now I know I'm not alone and just hearing things!
I have noticed a steering "clunk" similar to what you have described. I got underneath my JK while it was sitting on the ground. Swiviling the sway bar and steering arm back and forth I noticed a loud clunk that seems to be coming from the ball joints. It sounds/looks like the ball joint bottom out as they rotate producing this very noticeable "clunk". I also noticed that the ball joints are not serviceable (i.e. no zerk fittings) and appear like the rubber bushings are collapsed, No grease? OR initial grease when new was insufficient and lack has caused more movement then when new?

I would take this back to the dealer but I have installed a lift kit and I am betting they will blame the problem on that! Are there better aftermarket ball joints available that might cure this problem?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Ever since I bought my Jeep, the steering wheel clicks and vibrates whenever I turn it while driving. I took it to the dealer last year and they said that they couldn't replicate it...which is BS since it always happens. I took the car in today to get the fix for the transmission oil cooler tube (recall n28). When I got the car back I found that the steering wheel problem was gone. Attached is a description of the work that was done.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Picture of work order
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406691005367.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	568267  
Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Here is a possability to the problem?

Intermediate shaft jeep wrangler jk clunk problem fixed

Last edited by 2drsport2011; 06-23-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding photo somehow?
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Rusted buldge built up on shaft just under boot cover
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by 2drsport2011
Intermediate shaft jeep wrangler jk clunk problem fixed
Old 09-12-2022, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tried heat shield

I wrapped a heatshied around the NEW intermediate shaft and it still does it. Mine only takes a couple miles to get hot and ut starts. Pulling into parking lots turning while going over uneven pavement.

Originally Posted by miguelylucy
Just as I suspected they could not find anything wrong .... will try tomorrow in a different dealer ... What gets me mad its that I Printed the whole thread and explain to him what the problem was and I am sure he did nothing to communicate that to the mechanic . I even asked him if he or the manager could ride with me so he could feel what I am feeling every day an its driving crazy the manager was unavailable. ooooohhhhgreeat...

Have anybody been lucky trying a heat guard on the knuckle thats very close to the manifold ??

also has anybody that repaired the shaft by the dealer had the problem again??

thanks for your help ...
Old 09-12-2022, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default I wrapped heat shield around intermediate shaft

I wrapped a heatshied around the NEW intermediate shaft and it still does it. Mine only takes a couple miles to get hot and ut starts. Pulling into parking lots turning while going over uneven pavement. Is this how I post?

QUOTE=yo_marc;2582858]FWIW, my boot rotted away about a year ago, because of the grease I used in it. I've been running my steering shaft exposed, and it's doing just fine.... aside from the need for occasional greasing.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-29-2022, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling that when the Jeep is cold the clunking isnt there, that it could be the power steering isnt warmed up all the way possibly? Doesn't make sense but maybe the more you steer, the more the power steering gets used and gets hot, it's not as effective. I notice when the car is cold, its super easy to crank the wheel all the way at sharp slow turns. And for me, when driving for more than 30+ minutes, it gets harder to fully crank the wheel at slow sharp turns, I have to use both hands and use some muscle. Also with bigger tires like me with 35"s and stock steering could be the problem.
Just my observation.

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column