Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column

Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same steering wheel clunk with my 2013 Sport. The problem has been there for many months & I've barely broken it in.

I took it to my dealer and they couldn't duplicate the clunk (ahem...of course) however they had a look at everything under my jeep and said all was tight and looked good. So, a few months went by as I listen to this clunking over & over again. So I took it back to dealer again (last week) & of course, they could not duplicate the clunk again however they decided to completely replace the steering wheel shaft with a new one.

After picking it up from the dealer as I drove home, yup, it clunked...so frustrating! In fact, the clunk seems worse than before.

Here's when the clunking happens for me:

I feel the clunking in the bottom area of the steering wheel as well as the steering column & it's when I drive over a sharp style speed bump or railway tracks or a sharp edge in the road ie: a manhole cover that is sunk down a bit in the road.
Does anyone else experience it like that?

Thanks,

Kim
Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Are you sure it is not your brake pedal moving and giving you the clunk. Next time, before you go over a sharp bump, place your foot behind the brake pedal and see if you still feel the clunk. I thought mine was steering shaft, turned out to be loose brake pedal.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Arisdocjk
Are you sure it is not your brake pedal moving and giving you the clunk. Next time, before you go over a sharp bump, place your foot behind the brake pedal and see if you still feel the clunk. I thought mine was steering shaft, turned out to be loose brake pedal.
Hmmm, that's interesting.

I will test that out over the next few days.
Thanks Arisdocjk
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
If it has not been said search clunky steering... I had it and showed my dealer the thread on this forum.... They did it under warranty no issues and its been well over 40k KMs no issues at all
What is it that your dealer fixed under warranty to fix the problem?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Arisdocjk
So I checked my brake pedal and it seemed loose compared to gas & clutch pedal. So I went to the dealership feeling that it could be what it was but unfortunately that was not it. Brake pedal was tight. They are mystified.

That was now my 3rd visit with same clunking issue :( I went out with the technician. First he drove (no clunk) but he wasn't pleased with the linkage noise in the manual shifter which he says he hears in a lot of the manual jk's) I guess I'm just used to the racket.Then I drove it while he sat in passenger seat. It clunked a bit but he didn't hear it - I don't blame him. I barely heard it too (you know, Murphy's law kicked in) So, bottom line is he is starting some sort of file on it, is going to check with Chrysler to see if similar issues and in the meantime, we will just wait it out while the problem 'develops' and gets worse over time so then they will be able to determine what it is from there.

So, we'll see ...sigh...the clunking drama continues (along with the noisy linkage that I am now used to) ....lol

Kim

Last edited by Drumrgal; 11-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default clunk in steering

I read in a previous post that a member found his clunk in the steering knuckle. He found that adding a thick tacky grease to the shaft and reassembling got totally rid of the annoying little clunk felt in the steering and traveling up the shaft to the steering wheel. Apparently there is just enough play in the assembly to cause this condition.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yumpin
I read in a previous post that a member found his clunk in the steering knuckle. He found that adding a thick tacky grease to the shaft and reassembling got totally rid of the annoying little clunk felt in the steering and traveling up the shaft to the steering wheel. Apparently there is just enough play in the assembly to cause this condition.
Thanks Yumpin, I have read some posts about that as well. Just thought 'maybe' the dealership could find something. (At least I was hoping they would) I think you're right though. That will probably solve it. I'll look into that for sure. That darn clunking is just enough to drive me crazy, we'll, at least a little bit
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drumrgal
Thanks Yumpin, I have read some posts about that as well. Just thought 'maybe' the dealership could find something. (At least I was hoping they would) I think you're right though. That will probably solve it. I'll look into that for sure. That darn clunking is just enough to drive me crazy lol
There is a spring kit you can buy to fix it also. Not sure who makes it or what it's really called.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
There is a spring kit you can buy to fix it also. Not sure who makes it or what it's really called.
Yah,I have read about that spring kit somewhere on the forum or possibly on the WF Forum.
I'll see if I can find it again,

Thanks
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Is this the spring kit you were talking about?

http://misch4x4.com/steering_chatter_eliminator.html

Quick Reply: Annoying noise/clunk in Steering Column