Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto transmission oil is black

Old 08-21-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto transmission oil is black

Should I be concern?

I Just hit the 60K (mile) mark, so I wanted to replace the transmission oil (per the Jeep Owner Manual, as I do tow a pop-up camper)
The oil was black-purplelish (oil smell burnt) and the magnet had a metal shavings (more then usual in my eyes)

My mechanic drop the oil pan, replace the transmission oil filter, drained and cleaned it up as much as he could and top it all with fresh red synthetic transmission oil.
When I ask him what he think, he was not sure what to say, and replay:
"it's to early to know, come back again in 25k mark and we will then take a look... hopefully your transmission is fine "
Edit: I forgot to mention, I now have an aftermarket trans oil cooler (the Mopar one, hopefully it's not to late).

I never felt anything wrong before with my transmission, and when towing I didn't felt the need to take it off from overdrive....
Edit: I have been towing my pop-up camper all summer up here in Canada

Now I can't sleep...
should I be concern!? I love my Jeep...
(2010 4dr Rubi AUTO)

Last edited by Dream Girl; 08-21-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you done a lot of driving in 4H or towing? Any hot oil warning lights ever come up? Does sound like it has been getting pretty warm if the oil is plum coloured with a burnt smell. Best future fix is an aftermarket trans oil cooler, easy to instal and will also increase the overall volume of trans oil on your system which will also help. I got mine from Summit Racing , B&M #70268. Just use the supplied zip tie type system to mint to the front of your radiator and only one line to splice into. Will be more detailed write ups about .
Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tycho
Have you done a lot of driving in 4H or towing? Any hot oil warning lights ever come up? Does sound like it has been getting pretty warm if the oil is plum coloured with a burnt smell. Best future fix is an aftermarket trans oil cooler, easy to install and will also increase the overall volume of trans oil on your system which will also help. I got mine from Summit Racing , B&M #70268. Just use the supplied zip tie type system to mint to the front of your radiator and only one line to splice into. Will be more detailed write ups about .
Never got any warning lights off any kind
Towing? yes, I have been towing my pop-up camper all summer.
I now have an aftermarket trans oil cooler (the Mopar one, hopefully it's not to late).
Old 08-21-2015, 01:12 PM
kik
JK Freak

The trans was serviced, you now have the cooler. It might be fine. Keep checking it. The fluid should stay pink.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the same problem with my transmission. I set off the hot oil light a few times before I installed a cooler. I had it completely flushed since but it still gets really hot, not enough to trigger the light though. Synthetic fluid and a change every 30K or so and you should be just fine.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Two posts here mention synthetic fluid. I hope you are using ATF+4, (which is synthetic, by the way).
Old 08-21-2015, 11:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
... 2010 4dr Rubi AUTO ...
You might want to monitor the transmission temperature. If you have an Android device, the app Torque Pro will provide for that (you have to enable special settings, but it's in there). There is probably some iPhone equivalent, but I don't do Apple.

A typical Torque Pro screen. You set it up yourself however you want. Having a six speed, I don't monitor transmission temperature.

The app is way more powerful than just providing new gauges. It also can report and clear check engine lights, record instrument readings, and playback your route on a map. Most of that I've never really played with, but if I was trying to track down a puzzling overheating problem, such data might prove very useful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 7 Install, Oct 14, CP_1400, Torque Pro Screen.jpg
Views:	2436
Size:	901.6 KB
ID:	622223
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You might want to monitor the transmission temperature. If you have an Android device, the app Torque Pro will provide for that (you have to enable special settings, but it's in there). There is probably some iPhone equivalent, but I don't do Apple.

A typical Torque Pro screen. You set it up yourself however you want. Having a six speed, I don't monitor transmission temperature.

The app is way more powerful than just providing new gauges. It also can report and clear check engine lights, record instrument readings, and playback your route on a map. Most of that I've never really played with, but if I was trying to track down a puzzling overheating problem, such data might prove very useful.

How does this app talk to the Jeep?
Do I need to buy something else and connect it to the Jeep?
Thanks.

Last edited by Dream Girl; 08-26-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are Bluetooth odb2 plug ins for like 15 bucks. App is free or like 5 bucks for premium or whatever. I use dashcommand and and elm2 sensor if i recall.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Just my opinion, I would replace with new wix internal filter and run with royal purple ATF max. I'm a firm believer in RP and have solved some lubrication issues on major marine propulsion systems. If you are seeing metal, the wear is there already. Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into a flush.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission oil is black