Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Went "Soft" - Bad?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Went "Soft" - Bad?

I was pulling my pop-up camper this past weekend and got stuck in some mud. While in 4WD I started smelling my clutch burning (I've smelled it before a few times wheeling - I don't think I ride it but I must!) Then a bit of smoke from the center console.

Once out I can drive fine, shifts fine, smell is gone but... now the clutch pedal is really soft and downshifting is almost non-existent.

I've done a forum search and Google search. I just want to validate I probably just worn down my clutch plate? Anything else to check? Replace it now or wait since it's "working?"

Thanks!
Larry
The Larster
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might just have some dried mud up inside the bell housing binding up the clutch fingers. it's happened to me after getting stuck.

Try spraying a hose up in there through the slot in the bottom of your transmission. If dirty water comes out, keep going. Might take awhile.

Won't hurt your clutch plate but might buy you some more time before you need a new one.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply - I'll try that!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

How many miles on your Jeep? Honestly, you may have fried the clutch. Burning smell is never a good thing.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
How many miles on your Jeep? Honestly, you may have fried the clutch. Burning smell is never a good thing.
72K miles on it.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default buning clutch

Im on my 3rd clutch on my 2011. some my fault some just wish they had a real TO bearing option its a real weak spot on the JK manuals.
Look underneath and see if you see any thread looking material coming out, if so run don't walk to get a new clutch installed.
Its about 4-5 hour job with proper tools/shop
Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Chicago... I'll take a look tomorrrow.

Did you replace yours? I'm somewhat inclined to try it if that's it.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default replacing clutch

having a lift is nice. Its not that bad of a job if your not afraid to turn wrenches. I would see if anyone local who has done it could walk you thru. I would check with local driveline shops or at your 4 wheel park its a fairly common item thats made to wear out. If you plan on owning the jeep for a long time and wheeling it. you will save money by knowing/ learning.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default stuck in mud

if you were shifting in mud/water in 4 hi you would have let water/mud in. I only shift mine in water in 4 low and don't clutch when shifting.
Burning clutch is a pretty pungent distinct smell. When replacing clutch its an ideal time to re gear if you have bigger tires or want to get bigger tires since you have it all apart.

Last edited by Chicago Evo JK; 06-01-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dang, lots of good info. I do have 35" tires so re gearing might be a good option!

Quick Reply: Clutch Went "Soft" - Bad?