Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code question

Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code question

2011 jeep wrangler unlimited malfunction light came on and I got the code which was P0456 looked it up and it says its a Evap purge system small leak anybody know what that is ? How do I fix it ?
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Krumby
2011 jeep wrangler unlimited malfunction light came on and I got the code which was P0456 looked it up and it says its a Evap purge system small leak anybody know what that is ? How do I fix it ?
Thanks
Dave
I've been nursing mine for about twelve months now. I clear it and it stays gone month or two, then comes back. Some folks have replaced the gas cap to clear.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I got an error in my 2012 that actually said "gas cap". Well, it wasn't the gas cap. I just tweaked the hose side to side that goes into the evap canister and the light instantly went out. That was almost a year ago. It's never come back on. The hose must have been not sealed well and was letting a tiny bit of air in.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine turned out to be the aftermarket locking gas cap. Went back to the stick one and is gone.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I got an error in my 2012 that actually said "gas cap". Well, it wasn't the gas cap. I just tweaked the hose side to side that goes into the evap canister and the light instantly went out. That was almost a year ago. It's never come back on. The hose must have been not sealed well and was letting a tiny bit of air in.
Cleaned gas cap tube neck and rotated the cap O-ring. Still have code. Which hose are you mentioning? Does it follow the fill tube down toward evap canister?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Cleaned gas cap tube neck and rotated the cap O-ring. Still have code. Which hose are you mentioning? Does it follow the fill tube down toward evap canister?
the hose I tweaked was inside the engine compartment. Drivers side close to firewall. I think the hose that went into the canister was maybe 5/8" diameter. It was over a year ago so I am not positive. Give me a couple hours and I can post a picture of it
Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
the hose I tweaked was inside the engine compartment. Drivers side close to firewall. I think the hose that went into the canister was maybe 5/8" diameter. It was over a year ago so I am not positive. Give me a couple hours and I can post a picture of it
That would be helpful because another thread talked about a hose under the hood that I couldn't find on my 07 by the description.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Mine got fixed once I put a little Vaseline on the O-ring. Just a tiny bit.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

That would be helpful because another thread talked about a hose under the hood that I couldn't find on my 07 by the description.
here are the pics, but keep in mind this is a 2012. The hose I manipulated by twisting a bit is the one that goes into the evap canister.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-70247772.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	593193   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3703736373.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	593194  
Old 02-01-2015, 03:01 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Mine got fixed once I put a little Vaseline on the O-ring. Just a tiny bit.
Took that info out to mine that was showing only a P0456 code and equipped with the stock locking gas cap.
Noticed filler neck surface that mates to the cap O-ring was sort of nicked/scratched a bit and had some type of oily film/dirt on it. So went back out with some Scotch Brite pad and cleaned that all up. Then I removed the cap O-ring and rolled it over to use the opposite face. Used a Q-Tip to lightly apply the Vaseline and closed her up. No I didn't try to clear the code manually I just figured if it's cured the CEL will disappear after enough run cycles. NOT
Well after a few weeks I took her in to my mechanic for an oil change and asked him to check out system for any other source of the code. He only found a different code that was the one for a bad rear oxygen sensor-I think he said P1*** something. Replaced sensor and now no codes at all.
Wondering now if the cap work I did fixed the original code and just by coincidence that second code popped up in the month or so from the time I got the original code to when I finally got around to doing the cap cleanup.

Quick Reply: Code question