Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which coolant to buy?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which coolant to buy?

HI All,

Bought a used 2007 unlimited automatic a while back with no owners manual. I need to add some engine coolant but not sure which type. I currently have the orange/red fluid in there now. I found an online manual that specifies using Mopar HOAT coolant.

Just wanted to see what brands others are using?

thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluv
HI All,

Bought a used 2007 unlimited automatic a while back with no owners manual. I need to add some engine coolant but not sure which type. I currently have the orange/red fluid in there now. I found an online manual that specifies using Mopar HOAT coolant.

Just wanted to see what brands others are using?

thanks
Stick with the factory stuff. It may be a little more expensive, but you don't change it very often, and it is known to work.
If you don't know what is in there now, drain, flush, refill with the right stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you CAN use prestone antifreeze, this is from their website, just goto any autoparts store

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

you can also get it prediluted so you dont have to worry about mixing it 50/50
Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

What brand is the factory coolant?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by tuffluv
What brand is the factory coolant?
Read this whole post below. It is from the service manual. It does give an "or equivalent" statement.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol based coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

The green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.

CAUTION: Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so will reduce the corrosion protection and may result in premature water pump seal failure. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My theory is Mopar just wants you to buy THEIR antifreeze, thats why they say to replace it if used in an emergency. Prestone has been making antifreeze forever and theirs is good for ALL makes ALL models no matter what color its good for mixing with any color. Its also good for 5yrs/150,000mi verse Mopar's 5yr/100,000mi. So using the prestone should be fine.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

This really isn't an answer to your question but just wanted to let you know if you go to the Jeep corprate site you can download a PDF of the owners manual for your Jeep. Hope it helps.
Rick
Old 03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by tkob1060
My theory is Mopar just wants you to buy THEIR antifreeze, thats why they say to replace it if used in an emergency. Prestone has been making antifreeze forever and theirs is good for ALL makes ALL models no matter what color its good for mixing with any color. Its also good for 5yrs/150,000mi verse Mopar's 5yr/100,000mi. So using the prestone should be fine.
This is why I included the little "or eqivalent" phrase in my post.
I don't feel like doing the homework on the different coolants, so when it comes time for top-off, or change, I'll get the MOPAR stuff. The price isn't that much different. And, if the water pump starts to leak, and it will, I don't want some other brand coolant in the engine to jeopardize the lifetime warranty.
5 years/100,000 and 5 years/150,000 are the same thing for almost all Jeep owners.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Zerex makes a G05 antifreeze that is HOAT and Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines. Here is their web page for it, valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10, just add the w's on the front end.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

good info folks.

Quick Reply: Which coolant to buy?