Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do you have soft top regrets

Old 04-07-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have soft top regrets

Have a 2014 sport hard top. I am thinking of getting a soft top for summer off of Craigslist which always seems to have soft tops for sale. That got me to thinking that people that have 2 tops seldom use there soft top. Any advice appreciated - I would hate to buy one only to find out I'm not a fan. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

I have both, and have the soft top on from mid April until Thanksgiving. Really only use the hardtop because of the rear defrost and ease of cleaning wet snow off. I don't park it in high crime areas though.....
Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have both tops. Usually put the hard top on in October when it gets cold and trade it for the soft in late March.

One thing I don't like about the soft top is not being able to quickly open the rear window. Zippering back up can be a pain sometimes.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and swap them out end of spring and end of fall. I live in NJ and the salt here destroys the soft top. I also like the hard top when it snows. No regrets other than I usually wait till almost summer to put the soft top on.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the soft top... Couldn't bare the hardtop on all year round..... Soft top on from late March/early April depending on the weather here in Canada until end of October..... I have my jeep line-X'd so come May I don't even put the 3 rear windows on
Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel bad for a Jeep (or Jeep owner who has never removed their hard top). Otherwise it's just a nameless cube. I wanted the dual tops, but after getting the soft top only, I'm glad I did. When it's nice, you open the soft top. When it rains or gets cold at night you put it back up. Removing the hard top is for the whole season, really. You have to store it. You need a couple of people to remove it or put it back on. Basically, you take both off when it's nice. And put them on when its not. But with the hard top you don't get to change your mind once you get moving. But in the snow its got to be nice.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the same as many of the above posts, dual tops. Soft top normally goes on around mid to late April and comes off around Columbus day depending on the type of Fall we are having in MA. The hard top is great when dealing with the snow, and what is Cape Cod and the Islands without a bunch of topless Jeeps driving around all the time in the Summer. The only problem with the soft top is of course when it rains and do I need to worry about leaving it down over night or do I just need to put it up and leave the windows off or do the windows need to go on too. A lot of variables, thats why I like the app Jeep Weather, helps me keep track of when its supposed to rain and if the top should go up, the windows are hit or miss, its Jeep it gets wet, oh well.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the hard top but after getting:
-Tired of removing it alone
-Storing it
-Getting caught in torrential downpours
-Having the back on when it was nice out

I traded it for a front D44 axle and a soft top that leaks and isn't very nice too look at. And I would do it over and over again. The biggest complaint is wind noise only because I cant use my radio and my phone together. I hear the newer tops aren't as bad but the 08 soft top is god awful with wind noise. I run topless all the time and since I bed lined the tub I don't even run windows. If it's a really big storm, I might throw them on though. I can get my top down in about 3 minutes and have it up and be rolling again in about 5-7 if I put the windows in.

I switched from hard top to soft top in the beginning of winter and felt the hard top was just as cold as my soft top honestly. I did have my rear window crack a little though a while back but it doesn't even bother me. I feel it comes down to the kind of person you are. If you're like some of us and just don't have a care in the world about leaks or how secure or practical it may be: Soft top. If you live in South East DC or Detroit, wear a suit to work and would not mind having to leave the main part of it on during nice weather: Hard top.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine came with a hard top. I bought a soft top. After installing the soft top, the hard top is going to be sold. I don't have snow where I live though. Not sure how good they are with snow.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bought mine in 2011 brand new, came with both tops. Took hard top off a month after purchasing it. Hasn't been back on.

ICERK.......

Quick Reply: Do you have soft top regrets